In-Ear headphones problem.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by SXR, Dec 8, 2007.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Hi guys,

Again, i would like to have your own expierences and opinions on this.
    I recently picked up a pair of Apple iPod In-ear headphones and they don't fit in my ears. I always seem to have these problems with in-ear headphones. They keep falling out of my ears.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I would love to use In-Ear headphones since they usually have better quality than those other ones.

How about your own expierences with In-Ear headphones?

Thanks!

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'll be the first to say get a good pair of headphones with multiple types of inserts (foam, gel, rubber, etc). I find foam works best for me but are harder to clean. I've never tried the gel ones and hear (no pun intended) they work the best and are the most comfortable.

3. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thanks.

I'm not looking for 90 - 200 dollar headphones ;) However, I can see that foam will work out for me. Can you recommend in-ear headphones with a foam insert for 30 euro? I guess not , but thats top what I want to spend on some headphones. I got a paid of Creatives for 30 euro and they have good sound quality ( for me ) and fit good. These are not In-ear.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I find that a sweet spot for beginner earphones is generally ~$100 (€68). You get good bang for your buck and aren't stuck with earphones that sound crappy (no offense).

Check out HeadRoom. It's a great website for all things headphones. You may find something cheaper there that'll meet your needs.

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Couldn't agree more. I started off with a pair of shure e2c and then bought the shure se310 when they came out. They were both great (used the e2c to death literally) and the se310's are still going strong.

6. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

The Apple in-ears wouldn't fit my ears at all either.

I have best results with the Shure foam plugs, the dark ones that come with the newer models. (I used to use the yellow ones but they needed to be changed every few days). The new ones seem to last much longer. The advantage of foam plugs is that you squeeze them to insert and then they expand to fit your ear ensuring a good seal, which is the critical factor in getting good sound out of in-ears.

7. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

No offense taken , but I actually think the Creatives I use now dont have such bad sound quality. ( Maybe i just never heared reall good quality? )

I will take a look around. Definately thanks for the replys :)

EDIT: I have found and purchased some Koss In-Ear foam earbuds online! Take a look: http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^eb^SPARKPLUG

8. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

I got my Koss Sparkplugs today , and they are , like any in-ear type of headphhone, falling out of my ears. This is foam , but still its hard to keep them in my ears for 10 minutes. I do not have such a long ear canal, i Think?

Im not planning to buy some shures for a hundred bucks, so i probably will stay away from the in-ear ones. and go with the on-ear "crap" headphones , as I have no choice. Any suggestions?

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The Koss plugs are larger than most in-ear phones. I recommended the EP-630 by Creatives earlier, and I'll recommend them once more before leaving the thread. Good luck with whatever you choose.

10. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Yeah I had a pair of the Apple in ear phones and they weren't great, they kept falling out and had to be at a ridiculous angle to hear anything
    Pair of Senheisser CX300's in the post though :p

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

If you're looking for good third-party in-ear monitors (IEM's), here's what I recommend:

Under US$50--JVC HA-FX66
    US$50 to US$100--Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio
    US$100 to US$150--Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pro
    Above US$150--Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 Pro

I really like the headphones from Ultimate Ears because they have a nice, clean sound and you can get third-party eartips for a comfortable fit (you can even get custom fit eartips for UE headphones if you're willing to pay for them).

12. gorby macrumors 6502

I'm fantastically happy with my Etymotic ER6I's. They are 'only' $70 on Amazon.

[​IMG]

(I'm using them to listen to music from my iMac; I don't have an MP3 player)

Do a search on google, or even right here in the forum. You'll find lots of glowing reviews.

13. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thanks for the replys guys , if i sell the Koss phones ill buy a pair of creatives or sennheisers.

Oh , those etymotic will never fit in my ears.

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

You can replace the three-flange eartips with different ones provided with the headphone and see if that helps.

15. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Been there, tried that. I have no idea, i took a gamble on the Koss pair , but am afraid to take another gamble on another pair. Ill keep the "On ear" pair for now.

a nice guy here at the forums , i do not know his name. hexorx or something like that uses the apple headset because in ears hurt with him. I have a similiar problem.

16. xxstatic macrumors member

Sorry for the terrible pic but if you can see what I did with my Apple in ear phones...
    I had some of the soft flex sleeves laying around from a pair of Shure E-2 C's that I used to own, I also had the same problem with the Apple sleeves that they wouldn't stay in my ears whatsoever any of their sizes that came with them.
    After a little work I was able to slide the tip over the in ear nozzle and they have stayed that way for the last 2 years, I use them as my "sleep" set up but for what they are they work fine.
    Just another alternative.:cool:[​IMG]

17. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

18. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

In your case, you'll probably need to get custom-fit ear tips for your headphone. They're not cheap, though: you need to see a audiologist (a doctor that specializes in ears) to get the impression for the ear tips, and then have a third-party company build a custom ear tip for each ear. They're available for Etymotic Research, Futuresonics, Shure, Ultimate Ears and Westone in-ear headphones.

19. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

I don't think Ill need to go THAT far ;) a pair of Shures will do , but since im not really having trouble with the cheap on-ear ones , I cant justify to spend around 100 euros on Shures.