Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
firststrike101 said:
Are they any good? Are they worth buying? How is the quality?

i love them, they rock, they stop outside sound from getting in, and if they are the type that come with multiple in ear pieces they will fit great. I think they are the best type of headphones in my opinion. the Apple branded ones get lots of compliants though, i have a pair of Sony's that i love

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
My experience with in-ear headphones

In-ear headphones take some getting used to but they are definately the best type of headphones for the iPod.

Just by blocking the environmental sound they improve the listening experience at any volume level. Due to their tiny size the iPod's amplification circuits are more than enough to drive them. The established names of in-ear headphones like Shure and Etymotic sell great products in all price ranges. They are very discreet. They sound better than anything in their price range.

In-ear headphones can feel uncomfortable at first. When inserted improperly users complain about weak bass in the audio. Tips and filters need replacing at least every year so the cost is on-going. Putting them on and taking them off is not as easy and fast as doing the same with other headphones. When jogging the cord can produce a 'tugging' sound unless it is properly managed.

I have been using the Etymotic ER-6i headphones for over four months and I am happy with them. My music (mostly alternative & some hip-hop @ 160 kbs AAC) sounds great through them.

PS. I jog every day and the best way to avoid the tugging sound is by using the SportsWrap. The Sportswrap features a place to insert the cord and the rest of it goes under my shirt, through the neck to the ears.

ladyvolcc

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2005
Love the in-ear headphones

I, too, have a set of Sony's that I just LOVE.....they're the $49.95 ones at the Apple store, Target, etc. -- The only problem I have with them is that they're short on one side and longer on the other, which causes them to sometimes pull loose with activity. The sound is great, though, and while not truly noise-cancelling, I do fly a lot, and I'm pleased that they drown out the "plane drone" fairly well.
I also have the Apple ones and love the quality, but they fall out when I'm mountain biking.
Most anyplace has at least a two week return period so you can try them out first.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ladyvolcc said:
I, too, have a set of Sony's that I just LOVE.....they're the $49.95 ones at the Apple store, Target, etc. -- The only problem I have with them is that they're short on one side and longer on the other, which causes them to sometimes pull loose with activity. The sound is great, though, and while not truly noise-cancelling, I do fly a lot, and I'm pleased that they drown out the "plane drone" fairly well.
I also have the Apple ones and love the quality, but they fall out when I'm mountain biking.
Most anyplace has at least a two week return period so you can try them out first.

i notice the same problem with the sony's also its an issue because the left side has more weight on it because thats where the cord seperates, i wish i could find a work around for when i run with 'em

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
In ear style ear buds are a must have addition to an iPod. The thing is, if you insert it improperly into your ear they sound like crap. If you insert it correctly, they usually sound great. Ive tried many in ear style ear buds...

- Apple In Ear - the worst ear buds ive used. Ive owned a pair
- Sony EX71SL - Great for the price. Great midrange but muddy highs and lows. I own a pair of these also. Make sure you loop the cord behind your neck.
- Shure E3C - ive tried a set that my friend has and ive tried all the different size ear pieces but i couldnt get it to work.
- Shure E2C - I own a set and these are by far my favorite. A little awkward at first because the wire wraps around your ear. If you want you dont have to wrap it around your ear. The silicone ear piece sucks but the foam ear piece rules!!! the only thing, they are a little delicate. The foam ear piece supresses sound better than all the noise cancelling earphones ive tried including the Sony Fontopia Noise cancelling and Bose Quiet Comfort 2. i can drive on the freeway with my windows down and have the music as a reasonable level and i can barely hear the outside noise and wind.

One thing, make sure you try the different size ear pieces to fit your ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.