In-ear headphones

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Joeski, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Joeski macrumors member

I didn't know where to post this, so I am posting it in here because i plan on buying them when i buy my new iPod touch. Has anyone used them? How do they sound? Are they comfortable? Any and all information on them would be helpful.

I recently moved to college, and while I'm in my dorm i use my $100 pair of sony headphones, but wherever else i use my doinky little iPod earbuds. If these are noticibly better than the iPod earbuds (which i suspect they are) and even half as good as my sony's, i'll buy them.

2. Link2999 macrumors 6502

In-Ears are very uncomfortable (Just buy a cheap pair if you wanna see how they feel). Just get the standards. Oh and there's really zero improvement on my experiences.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Are you talking about Apple's in ear headphones? If so, nobody on here will have used the revised ones as they don't ship until next month.

4. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

The ones which come with the iPods and the new Touch have always been uncomfortable for me (my ears are small), so already I've switched back to my my old Shures.

5. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

Yes, these are the ones i'm talking about. I thought apple already had in-ear headphones out before the revision yesterday? If so, how are those?

6. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Those were the ones I was talking about earlier.

7. mzd macrumors 6502a

i personally really like the old Apple in-ears. for me they were a huge improvement, both in sound quality and comfort - with a proper fit.
    i'm excited about the new ones with the remote. :)

8. richiepad11 macrumors member

richiepad11

9. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

A lot of reviews i read for this brand said they were too bass-y. What did you think?

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

If you like good sound quality stay away

11. azcardsfan macrumors member

They're great headphones until they break. I had two pairs, both of them lasted about 2 weeks each.

12. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I would look into Shure E2C or E3C great warranty, amazing headphones

13. angels lust macrumors member

I love my Shure SE530s. They make such a world of difference.

14. rupie94 macrumors member

Hey don't listen to the people who say you should take the cheap ones, because #1 you have much better sound, and that's what you need with an mp3 player, what you buy it for #2 it has a microphone so that you might voip when an app comes to the appstore for voip so that you can call on your iPod. #3 these headphones have 3 different earbuds to fit your ear perfectly. So I hope you will make the right choice (buy them).

15. Link2999 macrumors 6502

$30 is cheap...

16. nicholasm macrumors newbie

I just bought a pair of Shure SE110 in-ear headphones for $100. I am still getting used to them, and the feeling of wearing them, but I find them very effective of blocking out sound (traffic, subway, etc.).

I would have been interested in the new iPod headphones, but I didn't know how long I would be waiting, and nobody really knows about the sound quality.

One suggestion: I don't know what the new Apple headphones will come with, but I'd suggest using foam tips rather than silicone ones. You can compact them to fit them in your ear, and they are very effective at dampening external sound.

17. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

i just got the se110s as well and HATE them and will be returning them. there absolutely no bass at all.

18. nicholasm macrumors newbie

Yes, they can sound like there is no bass. What I have found is that they have very little bass if the foam part is not making a good seal around your ear, in which case too much external noise can be heard, which drowns out the bass.

If you can get them in right, though, the bass suddenly appears. I suggest using the foam tips, squeezing them before insertion, holding them in while they expand, and looping the wire above/around the ear to take the weight off the in-ear buds.

19. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

if you want bass: ue super.fi 5 eb

also, getting a good seal is very important for any in ear

20. M. Poirot macrumors member

I had the previous apple in ear phones and they slipped out easily no matter what size of end cap I used. This was because they were conical is shape. The new one's have the more typical 'ball' shape to them that will sit in your ears with a bit more 'grip'.
    I've since had a pair of Sony's and now would highly reccommend the Sennheiser CX300's. They're only £40 and sound fantastic. The cable is also a sensible length unlike the vast coil of cable the Sony's came with :)
    If you want some in-ear headphones with a mic, then it looks like the new Apple one's will be sweet. if you get them, let us know what they're like!

21. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

I've heard a few good things about Sennheiser products, so i guess i'll check them out.

As for the blocking out noise around me, I won't be traveling on subways or planes or anything of the sort, so thats not a big thing i'm looking for.

22. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

well senn have a new line of inner ear phones which at the top cost usd 400 or more. i think ie8 or ie7 is what they are called. im sure they are amazing and unlike shure, ety or ue, they are dynammic driver phones which anyone who use dynammics versus armature can say: bass is plentiful and tactile.

23. farmerjoe01 macrumors newbie

Order a pair of Etymotic Er6i's from Amazon (usually the best price at around $75) - the best headphones I've ever had. I bought them to wear under my motorcycle helmet (because they're tiny) and now use them absolutely everywhere. My favourite is on planes - far superior to anything noise canceling as they block all ambient noise and sound great.

24. Joeski thread starter macrumors member

These look pretty nice; they're probably the leaders now. I'm not going to buy anything until the Apple ones come out though.

25. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I don't listen to in-ear headphones very often, but of the many I have to choose from the ones that came with my Zune 80 are by far my best. You can buy them seperately for <$50, and they'll come in a nice case.

Zune Premium Headphones