Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinkarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Shanghai
I know cmd-c and cmd-v, but if I want to cut some file, like ctrl-x in windows, cmd-x doesn't work in finder.

achtung515

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
- nevermind - I should of read closer. I didnt pay attention to the fact this didnt work in finder.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, CMD+X also works in Finder, thus my question, what Mac OS X version do you use and if it is Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.9 Mavericks, what kind of file do you want to cut at what location?

kevinkarin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Shanghai
Since Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, CMD+X also works in Finder, thus my question, what Mac OS X version do you use and if it is Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.9 Mavericks, what kind of file do you want to cut at what location?

I'm using Mavericks 10.9.1.

I just want to cut normal file like .jpg in like Downloads and then paste it to Documents. Cmd-x doesn't work.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Instead of cutting and pasting you can:
1) Copy the file (Command + C)
2) Go the the folder to move the file/folder to
3) Move the file here (Alt/Option + Command + V)

Nov 28, 2010
located
I'm using Mavericks 10.9.1.

I just want to cut normal file like .jpg in like Downloads and then paste it to Documents. Cmd-x doesn't work.

Hmm, as I have TotalFinder installed, CMD+X seems to work, but once TotalFinder is quit and Finder is running normally, CMD+X is disabled.
I guess Apple is still unsure about that command.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I know cmd-c and cmd-v, but if I want to cut some file, like ctrl-x in windows, cmd-x doesn't work in finder.

Are you a new Mac user? This is one of the things that has always been different between the Mac OS and Windows. Bottom line: your Mac OS is not Windows. You have to learn how it works, just like you had to learn how Windows works when you started: from scratch.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I personally just open two finder windows (if you hold command and click it opens in a new window) and then click and drag the document I want. Not always as simple as a flat out "cut" button but it does the job well.

Unless it's going to an external, then it just copies but it's quick to delete the original.

I know it's not the response you want bit it seems to be the system apple likes.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I personally just open two finder windows (if you hold command and click it opens in a new window) and then click and drag the document I want. Not always as simple as a flat out "cut" button but it does the job well.

Unless it's going to an external, then it just copies but it's quick to delete the original.

I know it's not the response you want bit it seems to be the system apple likes.

This is also what I normally do to.

Though if I'm moving files to an external I just hold down the Command button to make it move the files and not copy.

Also holding down Alt/Option does the opposite, and forces it to copy the files/folders instead if you drag them to another folder on the same drive.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
This is also what I normally do to.

Though if I'm moving files to an external I just hold down the Command button to make it move the files and not copy.

Also holding down Alt/Option does the opposite, and forces it to copy the files/folders instead if you drag them to another folder on the same drive.

I didn't actually know those button combos so thanks for the tip haha

MysteriBodii

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
Are you a new Mac user? This is one of the things that has always been different between the Mac OS and Windows. Bottom line: your Mac OS is not Windows. You have to learn how it works, just like you had to learn how Windows works when you started: from scratch.

What you're saying is right, but you made it wrong with the context. That guy only wants to know if there's a function of cutting file. When we say it's a function, it doesn't relate to what OS, Platform you're using, it's a user need in reality.

In this case, I would say Windows satisfies its user with this need and Apple doesn't. That means in reality, when we want to move the file from here to there, we need 2 steps in Windows and more than 2 steps in Mac with back and forth action.

I use both Windows and Mac and I can tell Mac is not designed for office worker

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
What you're saying is right, but you made it wrong with the context. That guy only wants to know if there's a function of cutting file. When we say it's a function, it doesn't relate to what OS, Platform you're using, it's a user need in reality.

In this case, I would say Windows satisfies its user with this need and Apple doesn't. That means in reality, when we want to move the file from here to there, we need 2 steps in Windows and more than 2 steps in Mac with back and forth action.

I use both Windows and Mac and I can tell Mac is not designed for office worker

Mac users do not need more than 2 steps...

CMD-C on the file, then OPTION-CMD-V in the destination... boom, you have just done a "cut/paste".

Reactions: MysteriBodii

MysteriBodii

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2018
Can I ask you one more question that is not related to this thread.
In my office, there're Win and Mac. When people send me the folder path from Win, I can't use Cmd + Shift + G to go directly to that folder though we're using the same server. Do you have solution?

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Can I ask you one more question that is not related to this thread.
In my office, there're Win and Mac. When people send me the folder path from Win, I can't use Cmd + Shift + G to go directly to that folder though we're using the same server. Do you have solution?

I'm assuming you are referring to UNC paths? (\\server\folder\file.doc)

There is no "out of the box" solution for quickly using UNC paths that i am aware of.. (there are some finder alternatives and other add ons that may work, but I don't have any personal experience with any)

The quickest solution in finder would be to open the "connect to server" dialog box (Cmd+K)
and adjust the UNC path to fit the SMB URL (SMB://server/folder/file.doc)

Again, there may be better quicker alternatives with finder alternates or other add-ins. (Google: "opening UNC path on mac" or something similar)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.