In Finder, what is the 'cut' key combination like ctrl-x in Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevinkarin, Feb 13, 2014.

1. kevinkarin macrumors newbie

I know cmd-c and cmd-v, but if I want to cut some file, like ctrl-x in windows, cmd-x doesn't work in finder.

2. achtung515 macrumors newbie

achtung515

- nevermind - I should of read closer. I didnt pay attention to the fact this didnt work in finder.

3. simsaladimbamba

Since Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, CMD+X also works in Finder, thus my question, what Mac OS X version do you use and if it is Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.9 Mavericks, what kind of file do you want to cut at what location?

4. kevinkarin thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using Mavericks 10.9.1.

I just want to cut normal file like .jpg in like Downloads and then paste it to Documents. Cmd-x doesn't work.

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Instead of cutting and pasting you can:
    1) Copy the file (Command + C)
    2) Go the the folder to move the file/folder to
    3) Move the file here (Alt/Option + Command + V)

6. simsaladimbamba

Hmm, as I have TotalFinder installed, CMD+X seems to work, but once TotalFinder is quit and Finder is running normally, CMD+X is disabled.
    I guess Apple is still unsure about that command.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Are you a new Mac user? This is one of the things that has always been different between the Mac OS and Windows. Bottom line: your Mac OS is not Windows. You have to learn how it works, just like you had to learn how Windows works when you started: from scratch.

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I personally just open two finder windows (if you hold command and click it opens in a new window) and then click and drag the document I want. Not always as simple as a flat out "cut" button but it does the job well.

Unless it's going to an external, then it just copies but it's quick to delete the original.

I know it's not the response you want bit it seems to be the system apple likes.

9. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

This is also what I normally do to.

Though if I'm moving files to an external I just hold down the Command button to make it move the files and not copy.

Also holding down Alt/Option does the opposite, and forces it to copy the files/folders instead if you drag them to another folder on the same drive.

10. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I didn't actually know those button combos so thanks for the tip haha