In future, will all iMac/laptop RAM be non-upgradable?

In future, will all iMac/laptop RAM be non-upgradable?

• In future, all iMac AND Apple laptop RAM will be non-upgradable

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • In future, all iMac RAM will be non-upgradable

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • In future, all Apple laptop RAM will be non-upgradable

• In future, Apple RAM will be upgradable again

• Total voters

BigMac182

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
I guess with the 2012 iMac, Apple realized they could extract more money from their consumers by not allowing them the option of buying a cheaper machine and upgrading it with 3rd party RAM. A shrewd move on their part, but not good for the consumer.

Do you think Apple will return to allowing upgradable RAM, or does the 2012 iMac signify the end of allowing this option?

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
I guess with the 2012 iMac, Apple realized they could extract more money from their consumers by not allowing them the option of buying a cheaper machine and upgrading it with 3rd party RAM. A shrewd move on their part, but not good for the consumer.

Do you think Apple will return to allowing upgradable RAM, or does the 2012 iMac signify the end of allowing this option?
They will continue to allow it on fewer machines for the next few years, after that who knows.

RAM, iMac internal drives (since the funny sensor in late 2009), the retina MBP, now this new iMac, its not looking good.

The general trend has me planning ahead to buy a recent second hand mac pro next year when whatever update they do to that is announced.

It doesn't seem like it, and as much as it hurts consumers, it also is gonna hit 3rd party vendors/techs who have been part of the Apple ecosystem over the decades.

Comment

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Its possible. I highly doubt it for the high end. Thats what the Mac Pro is for isnt it?

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
It seems like they are slowly weaning people off user upgrade-ability by removing it from some of the models and seeing what happens. Unfortunately people keep buying.

Comment

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
It seems like they are slowly weaning people off user upgrade-ability by removing it from some of the models and seeing what happens. Unfortunately people keep buying.
Its a little sad, when you think of the culture of Mac, with local user groups, reliable mom n pop resellers/accessory manufacturers/developers. It seems the margins on nicely designed and future-leaning devices are obviously greater than on user-configurable long lasting machines, like the old fridges that worked for 25 years....going away

I wonder what if any effect the temptation for the power users like Hollywood editors, etc, to move to HP workstations and the like will eventually have on Apple's image, given for years those guys were visibly using macs only.

Comment