In hindsight, I wish I went with Amazon "Video-on-Demand"

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jb60606, Oct 29, 2009.

1. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of no longer purchasing movies off of iTunes/ATV and switching to Amazon VOD. Has anyone else made the jump, or are considering the same?

comparable prices, selection, HD options, "ATV-like" storage devices from a plethora of manufacturers (including Amazon "VOD-ready" TVs) and - most importantly (in my book) - Amazon keeps your prior downloads on record and at-the-ready for re-downloading, should the worst happen.

The last, in particular, qwells the primary major concern I had over switching to digital content/downloads from physical media (DVD/CD/BR). Thus far, I've spent over $1400k on hardware to back-up and secure my rapidly growing iTunes library of music and (particularly) movies. Worst of all, it won't end there as I'll likely need to expand again in the distant future if I continue at this pace. Though, in reality, no matter what I do to preserve this library, I know that I'll eventually lose it (either intentionally or on accident).

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I use both. Tivo support Amazon VOD and more recently, Blockbuster . I also have an Apple TV.

The buying experience for Amazon VOD is still clunky. I like the fact I can use Amazon.com to buy/rent and it gets pushed down to my Tivo. However, our typical usage is to sit down and rent right from the couch and Apple definately has an edge here. Faster viewing and previews are differentiators for me. Picture quality seems to be similar - although I'm not a videophile.

One thing I've noticed with Amazon - if you puchase a video for your Tivo, there doesn't seem to be a way to re-download it to your Mac to burn to disc. It will either redownload to your Tivo or you can watch on demand from the Amazon website video player. Anyone know of a fix/workaround for this?

In any case, its nice to have options. Part of me wishes Tivo would support iTunes purchases - but that will never happen. My Apple TV is slowly being rendered useless.