In home WiFi camera to check up on Dog

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NYRangers11, Jan 5, 2012.

1. NYRangers11 macrumors member

Just recently got a puppy and I wanted to put in a relatively inexpensive camera in the dogs room. I just need to be able to check up on him while i am at work using my iPhone. Any suggestions? Also how easy are they to setup?

2. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I'm sorry I don't really have any camera advice, as I've never used one myself, but congrats on the puppy!! They are the most loving and playful souls ever.

What kinda puppy is it?

3. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

Chihuahua. I actually just made a makeshift temporary one by leaving my computer near by and using the photo booth along with LogMeIn. But i don't see that as a long term solution.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Here's one that can be set up for remote viewing over the internet and supports 802.11g or wired networking. Setup of these can be a bit complicated as you need to do some customizing of your home network by setting up an internal static IP address and port forwarding. You may also have to setup a free account with DynDNS.org to connect to your camera over the internet if your ISP does not provide static IP Addresses for your internet connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881102030

There are fancier cameras on Newegg and simpler ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

What you are looking for are IP cameras. I don't know if any offer software for the Mac for the security recording functions though. But most if not all will offer full control through your web browser for viewing in realtime.

I mention this model because it offers pan/tilt/zoom for a reasonable price with good reviews. There are cheaper models that also have night vision. But they have either poor reviews, compatibility problems with browsers other than IE or no reviews.

You could also look for some home automation stuff. So you can remotely turn the lights on an off in the room.

A few years ago a cousin of mine built one with a squirt gun attached to keep the dog out of the trash in the kitchen when he wasn't home. After one salvo the dog won't step foot into the kitchen. When he looked through the cam at work he'd just see the dog looking into the kitchen occasionally. The cat would just shoot through the kitchen when it wanted outside.:D

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Congrats on the puppy. He'll change your life - for the better.

Go all the way and get a Synology NAS and set up Surveillance Station! Tell your wife you need it to set up the camera.

6. NYRangers11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking at the Foscam FI8918W and the D link DCS-932L