in Itunes but Not in Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Scott65, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Scott65 macrumors newbie

I am trying to get the movie Mulan to play on my Apple TV. I recently ripped i using Handbrake 0.9.3 and the Apple TV preset to my Macbook Pro OS X 10.5.5. I then imported it into my iTunes 8 library and can play it fine from my computer. When I try to see it on my Apple TV, after I have synced it, it's not there.

I am actually streaming this from a remote hard drive. I have to hit sync to get the movie's metadata over to the Apple TV and make the Apple TV aware that the movie exists in iTunes. I have done this successfully before with many other movies. I just can't get it to work with this one movie. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Scott- You had posted this over on Handbrake, and I am the user (Da Man) that hijacked your thread like German east-block terrorists going after Nakatomi Plaza on Christmas Eve. Let me see if I can help you out with a few tips-

-As stated over at Handbrake, ALL Disney movies need to be pre-ripped using Mac the Ripper or Ripit, and even then should be "washed" with DVD2oneX using the movie only mode. The combination of these two should strip any content protection as well as any intentional "mastering erors".

-Just because it will play in iTunes doesn't mean it will play at all on AppleTV. The way to confirm AppleTV isn't accepting it (as opposed to it being an AppleTV glitch) is to click on AppleTV under devices, click on the movie tab, and click on the box that allows you to synch one movie only, and select that movie. Then hit apply, and synch, and see what happens. It should finally give you a little asterisk when you're done next to AppleTV under devices. Click on the asterisk and it should say something like "AppleTV is unable to synch this movie because AppleTV cannot play this movie. Yes I know, very informative, but it's a start. Put your AppleTV synch/stream settings back where how you originally had them set.

-Run the .M4V file of Mulan in quicktime and activate movie inspector. Take note of the various bits of information movie inspector tells you. This is going to be the best way to figure out what's up here. A screenshot posted here would be great if you know how. Use your Apple's help menu, type in screenshot, and it will give you directions on how to do that.

-Looking at movie inspector, see what the frames per second are, resolution, and bit rate. There are very few reasons AppleTV will reject a valid .m4v file. It is named .M4V, right?

Post back here with this information and we'll go from there. However, if you're not using a ripping program (handbrake is NOT a ripper) this is the first thing to try.

Good luck. And like Riggs said to Murtough in Lethal Weapon 3 while he was sitting on the bomb-laden toilet, "hold my hand and we'll get through this". :D

3. celica73 macrumors member

Bumping an old thread to report the same issue.

Mulan won't play on Apple TV after a standard Handbrake rip. Using Quicktime player I noticed that Mulan is encoded at 38 frames per second. I'm forcing 24 fps now and suspect that will solve the issue.

Beauty and the Beast has the same encoding problems.

Scott

4. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Funny this thread was resurrected. This weekend I noticed I had 536 TV shows in iTunes, but only 535 TV shows on the AppleTV. Comparing the two lists, I found one of my episodes of an old TV series wasn't there. What's funny is that the other three episodes on the same disk worked fine.

It also turned out to have 31 fps, which AppleTV wouldn't ingest.

5. celica73 macrumors member

Well it worked. Setting Handbrake for 24 fps fixed it (rather than the default "use the same as the source").

Scott

6. shetaan819 macrumors newbie

hey guys, just wanted to thank you for posting this solution as I have been struggling with this for quite a while...! I'd tried different bit rate settings on Handbrake and a few other things before seeing this thread and realizing it is as simple as choosing a different frames per second (24 fps).

I had this issue with the following Hollywood movies - Terminator 2, Rush Hour, and also the following Bollywood movies - Maine Pyar Kiya, Bluffmaster, Lakshya, Karan Arjun, Waris Shah-IshqDaWaris, Neal N' Nikki.

Just wanted to document these in case anyone else was having this issue with these movies.

7. eleven59 macrumors regular

eleven59

got a few OTA eps that wont show up, yet before i have always used with success the atv HB option.... trying to force 24fps now to see if that solves it