In-laws having problems with their 2011 iMac Please advise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bartonjm, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bartonjm macrumors member

My in-laws have a 2011 21.5 inch i5 in the basic configuration that they're having problems with. They essentially get the beach ball that freezes when they access programs....especially safari. They have to restart and run a recovery disk check (disk utility according to them) every time. It's very frustrating and they've had AppleCare "fix it" three times in five months. First was reported as a software issue. Genius reinstalled OSX with no resolution. Second time resulted in a hard drive replacement that didn't seem to help. They just picked it up today with what the genius said was a software fix(new os install) and it's still freezing. It takes a little bit, but still freezes after a few hours.

What do you guys think the issue might be?. I have not looked at the computer, so these are my elderly in-laws describing this to me. They are getting frustrated with AppleCare because they don't seem to know either. Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks. :confused:

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Create a new user and let them test it for some time, if the problems are gone there is something installed in the user they normally use that is messing around.

Run the Apple Hardware test to see if there is a hardware issue.

Check the Activity Monitor and the Console to see any messages.

Update everything, sometimes is Adobe Flash that makes everything slow down.

3. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Do they have wi-fi security with a strong password.

Maybe they've been hacked regardless of good wi-fi security.

They might try getting MacScan and see if it finds anything.

4. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

They're actually plugged directly into a cable modem. The frustrating piece is they've been in the apple store three times if or this without resolution. The geniuses seem to be just trying whatever they can, and then they get the computer back with the same results. Apple has been courteous though.

5. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Being hardwired into the internet still leaves you wide open to being hacked! Apple security or not. They need to disconnect from the internet and see what happens or get on at another IP address. MacScan will look for and eliminate any critters residing on the hard drive that are being used by the hackers.

6. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Iam having same problem with my 2011 iMac. 3 store repairs 18 AppleCare calls 6 screen sharing sessions. Yet still not working. I ended up booting off a external hdd and now it works flawless. So try this if you can. If it works push for a new hdd and logic board. AppleCare is a joke so you will have to find problem on your own. Also before you boot off external check how much ram you are using. Mine would use over 16gb. With out using any apps.

7. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

They are just older and not very computer savvy, so it is difficult for them. This will be the 4th time in found months they're bringing this into the apple store. Apple supposedly replaced the hd already, but it's still freezing daily. Should they ask for a new logic board? Im an hour and a half away, so we don't see them all the time.

8. Richdmoore macrumors 65832

Richdmoore

I believe that apple has an unofficial policy that after three attempted repairs for the same issue that they replace the computer. It would be worth it to ask at least about the possibility.

I have had good luck with the apple executive dept, by emailing sjobs@apple.com when I have had an issue that the local apple store has been unable to fix. (I believe the correct email is tcook@apple.com now.)

9. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

You can try they are not likely to replace a part unless they see with their own two eyes that it fails. Even if you show them. Would recommend email Tim cook. Good luck they are not very savy to find problems on their own.

10. bartonjm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks. Well....here's a strange twist. The genius told my in laws that the supposed hd that had been changed couldn't have been changed because it was the original hd. Not sure what to think of this. It's too bad because I've had decent service experiences with apple in the past. Does anyone think that being elderly and relatively naive (technology wise) would impact the level of service they receive? I'm not stating it did, but their experience has not been stellar. My father in law has already stated he probably won't buy another mac again because of this.

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Like any service store they are overloaded in most of the Genius bars, a not so genius geniuses may be behind it.
    It has been my experienced that non apple hardware and windows software tends to have more issues and 3rd party service scams than others, the exception may be BestBuy Geek Squad.
    Anyway if the HDD was the culprit and it was replaced it should work fine.