Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has filed a motion to dismiss in a case filed by customers over alleged misleading advertising depicting the Siri technology in the iPhone 4S. The lawsuit, filed in March, alleges that Apple's advertising of Siri doesn't reflect real-world usage. When asked for directions or to locate a store, "Siri either did not understand what Plaintiff was asking, or, after a very long wait time, responded with the wrong answer."

siri_beta_wish.png

In a motion to dismiss (via Scribd), Apple attempts to shoot down the Plaintiff's arguments, reports the Wall Street Journal:
They offer only general descriptions of Apple's advertisements, incomplete summaries of Apple's website materials, and vague descriptions of their alleged--and highly individualized--disappointment with Siri. Tellingly, although Plaintiffs claim they became dissatisfied with Siri's performance "soon after" purchasing their iPhones, they made no attempt to avail themselves of Apple's 30-day return policy or one-year warranty--which remains in effect. Instead, they seek to take an alleged personal grievance about the purported performance of a popular product and turn it into a nationwide class action under California's consumer protection statutes. The Complaint does not come close to meeting the heavy burden necessary to sustain such claims.
Apple continues to heavily advertise Siri and the iPhone 4S. The two latest ads for the product feature celebrities Samuel L. Jackson and Zooey Deschanel using Siri to plan date night and to get tomato soup delivered.

Article Link: In Lawsuit Over Siri, Apple Says the Technology is "Cutting Edge"

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
There are lots of problems, but nothing suit-worthy. Keep the nerd rage to yourself.

And anyway, I've tried all the lines from Zooey and Sam; they work just fine.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Welcome to 2012. See someone else with a lot of money? Just find a stupid way to sue them and needlessly clog up the legal system. What a joke.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I use Siri and like it. However, it's response time nowhere near as fast nor as accurate as what is portrayed in those ads.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I use it all the time, mostly for reminders and calendar type things. It's very quick. Much faster than poking through the calendar UI and dialing to the right dates and times.

I guess it depends on what aspect of Siri you're using. I'm sure somethings aren't as well developed.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Apple needs to load up Siri with some cynical responses for obnoxious legal inquiries..

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Plantiff Kripke, can you please respond?

Plantiff: Siwi weally sucks! Watch. "Siwi, can you wecommend a westawant?"

See?? What a piece of cwap!

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I use Siri and like it. However, it's response time nowhere near as fast nor as accurate as what is portrayed in those ads.
The ads actually do have a disclaimer that states that time sequences are shortened. Still, I agree that the portrayal is a bit misleading, but how else can you demonstrate Siri in a 30 second ad?

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
it may not be "perfect" but it is quite remarkable. I have a speech impediment and Siri does a fantastic job of understanding me. Granted every now and then it doesn't understand something, or it does time out (which can be annoying), but given the demonstrated capabilities that it can do out of the box and the mere fact that this is still in beta and well, i don't have any sympathy. They could have returned the unit. But they didn't. Everyone has to be held accountable for their own actions. This whole, lets try to start a class action lawsuit to get free money because the product doesn't work to "my" specifications is getting out of hand.

Abanar

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
I tried to get Siri to tell me where the nearest organic market was to my location and she told me that there were not any nearby...hmmm...despite the fact that she was telling the truth, maybe I should sue Apple because that was not the answer that I wanted. :D:D:D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
it may not be "perfect" but it is quite remarkable. I have a speech impediment and Siri does a fantastic job of understanding me. Granted every now and then it doesn't understand something, or it does time out (which can be annoying), but given the demonstrated capabilities that it can do out of the box and the mere fact that this is still in beta and well, i don't have any sympathy.

I would agree with this sentiment were it not for the fact that it's the flagship feature, the killer app, of the iPhone 4S.

Yes, it's amazing how well it works. It's much better than the old voice control. It's nowhere near polished enough to be the main selling point (given Apple's reputation and all... were it from any other company I'd dismiss it as typical crap from a consumer company, but this is Apple, who I've come to expect a lot more from. I'm amazed they let it out of their labs.)

I was sorely tempted to return it and resume using my 3GS. It was mostly features introduced with the iPhone 4 that made me ultimately decide it was worth the price and I didn't want a refund and to return to the 3GS.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think in terms of actual Siri, my only gripe is how despite utilizing both Apple's servers as well as the device, if you have no internet, it won't even attempt to use the device's voice recognition.

The rest is all on AT&T (for me, anyways).

angrynstupid

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Works fine for me. In fact the only friend I know with problems has a super thick Boston accent.

Ditto. I have friends with thick Boston, New Jersey and Southy Chicago accents and I can't understand half the crap that comes out of their potholes - how do you expect SIRI to understand these nut bags?

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Welcome to 2012. See someone else with a lot of money? Just find a stupid way to sue them and needlessly clog up the legal system. What a joke.

This!

I personally think Siri is great. I've just recently started using it and it helped me find my new apartment!

I think people just don't know how to use it. All I said was "Apartment buildings in Harrisburg Pennsylvania" and it gave me a list, some of which I didn't find online at first, including my new one I can't wait to move in to!

Its also helped me find sushi restaurants in Hawaii, state parks, etc. I find it very useful.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'd have to agree that while Siri does work well for me the majority of the time, it maybe was a bad move to make THE feature of the 4s. I know there are people who update their iPhones religiously, but I have to speculate that if not for Siri, many people who already owned a 4 may not have bought the 4s.

It's a cool feature with A LOT of potential, and I know it is still technically in beta, but it's just not quite "there" to be the major selling point of a device.

All that being said I still think it's ridiculous to file a lawsuit over such a thing. It's called "buyer's remorse" and as Apple pointed out, they have a rather generous return policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.