in laymans terms whats the difference between using homekit and just using philips hue to control

madeirabhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
haven't yet bought my first Philips 'things' as I keep getting frustrated with shops not having what I want, but I keep seeing that Philips hue is homekit compatible, ikea stuff is hue compatible but not yet homekit compatible etcetera.

sorry for being thick but whats the difference?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hard to compare the two to put in layman's.

The Philips Hue app controls their Hue lighting products.

HomeKit is Apples framework for home automation app access.

The Philips app will give you greater control of their devices. Pretty much any devices native apps will. However HomeKit gives you quick access (Siri and control center) to ALL devices that are compatible with HomeKit, including automation of those devices natively built into the OS.

So speaking specifically about Hue, the app allows me to turn lights off when I leave the house. However with HomeKit I can have the lights turn off AND the AC/Heat set back AND doors lock, etc etc.

The benefit is I dont need 3 apps polling for my location and being baked directly into the OS makes it a little more reliable (although I never had a problem when just using the Philips app).

madeirabhoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
thanks, sorry i didnt see you had answered until now.

can i still use siri with the hue app? is it an either or, or can the same bulbs be controlled by both at the, well i dont mean same time but can i sometimes control them with the hue app and other times with home

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
thanks, sorry i didnt see you had answered until now.

can i still use siri with the hue app? is it an either or, or can the same bulbs be controlled by both at the, well i dont mean same time but can i sometimes control them with the hue app and other times with home
You can only use Siri directly with the device via the Hue app.

The bulbs can be controlled by the Home app, Hue app, and Siri concurrently (within reason like you mention).

Personally I find in a multi person home with multiple iOS devices HomeKit is the way to go. You can just share your setup with friends/family members without them needing to use an app that requires your login credentials and it gives you more control to who can do what (ex. kids not being allowed to adjust the thermostat, adjust master bedroom lights, etc).