In light of all the threads about damaged Apple watches ...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aml216, May 20, 2015.

1. Aml216, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Ok, so currently loving my :apple:Watch.

Recently I'm sure regulars have noticed the influx of threads about people having their watches get damaged from bumping/scraping, falling, or from apparently "nothing" :rolleyes:.

In any case, the rise in these threads is quickly making me reconsider some form of protection for my :apple:Watch. I am torn between getting a case (see Spigen Rugged, and Tough Armor for instance), or simply getting AppleCare+. The case would be a less costly form of protection, however I would not be able to enjoy the :apple:Watch "naked," as it was likely meant to be. AppleCare+ is ($50+service fee for a replacement).

For those of you with a case, or AppleCare+, OR both(!?) how did you decide on which to get?
    Any other pros and cons I am over looking?

Aiming to get a case of AppleCare+ in the next 24 hours or so.

Edit// Oh, and for what it's worth I have a space grey sport.

2. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

I'm doing both. I already got the AppleCare+ because hey, you never know.

Now I have a Spigen rough armor on order. My initial reason for buying the case was to change up the look now and then, we'll see if I like it. But I may also wear it if I'm going to be doing any rough activities were I think the case might be helpful. Even thou I have the AppleCare +, what's an extra $14 ?!

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

In 100 years of luxury horology sales, no manufacturer has ever considered a offering case for their $1000-$100,000+ watches, and apparently no consumer has ever expressed interest in one.

And I'm talking about hand made gold and platinum mechanical watches, whose cases, dials, and movements are far costlier to replace or repair than any mass produced $600 digital watch.

Only Apple customers would even think of destroying the subtle curves and lines that Ive & Co. struggled to perfect, by covering it in a case.

And only Apple customers would attempt to blame Apple for their carelessness.

I've seen several threads questioning the durability of the watch due to obvious negligence on the part of the wearer. But I have never seen anyone demand a free Swiss watch because they scratched it, on any of the watch forums I've visited over the years.

A cell phone case I get. You need a phone. If you drop it and it breaks, you have no communication.

No one needs an Apple watch. Or a Patek Philippe, Rolex, Omega, etc, No one needs a wrist watch at all, which is why no one makes a protective case.

To anyone considering a case for a wrist watch, stop and ask yourself why. Is it because you can't afford to replace it if it gets damaged? Then you've probably spent beyond your means by buying the watch in the first place.

Are you trying to protect your "investment"? Unless you never open the box and keep it in a safe for 50 years, a $600 Apple watch is in no way an "investment". Buy $600 worth of Apple stock if you are looking for an investment.

Do what owners of $10,000 watches do. Either learn to be more mindful of the device on your wrist, or learn to live with a few nicks and scratches.

If I showed you my 5 year old $6000 Swiss dive watch, you would think I bought it last month, because I am CAREFUL with it.

Buy a case for your digital Chinese watch if you must, but just know that this is yet another of the many reasons people hate Apple fans.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yep, way too many people on here are stuck with the iDevice mentality and treating the Watch like an iDevice when it's not.

5. mrboba1 macrumors regular

Get AppleCare+

That's it. I've banged my watch a few times, and only just now, upon close inspection did I notice an ever so slight mark on the case.

Stop inspecting it so much and just wear and use the watch. You probably won't even have it in 4 years ;)

6. daydayvol macrumors regular

I already have applecare+ and will probably get a case of some kind. I plan on doing a bunch of activity and I know there will be accidents that occur.

7. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

8. Max Girth macrumors newbie

I agree with a lot of what you say, but your watch snobbery is off the charts.

Probably a good at least 50% of Apple watch customers I'd guess if not more, this is another iDevice, and do not care about the same things a watch enthusiast care about. Also, just because somebody cannot or does not want to buy another if theirs gets damaged, doesn't mean they can't afford it and have no business owning one.

That said, you are on point about being more careful about where your arm swings.

I get your gist of being an adult with a watch, but let's be honest, the Apple watch is going to go way beyond the traditional watch enthusiast market. Buckle up.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Even casual watch wearers do not protect their cheapo watches with a film and case.

I don't get it. You buy AC+ so you're covered for accidental damage, yet people make it an eyesore with a bulky case. Do you buy a new car and cover the body with a thick foam? No, that's what insurance is for.

Watches are considered jewelry and should be treated as such.

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

If it's the sport model, I completely understand getting a case. But if you shell out extra money for the SS and you put a case on it, it's a little odd.

11. sotie macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this. You put into words what I've been thinking the past few weeks.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yet other people will say exactly the opposite ("I understand forgoing the case on the cheaper Sport model, but if you shell out extra money for the SS it's a little odd not to protect with a case").

No matter what model you have, it's silly to put a case on it because it's supposed to be a fashion statement/jewelry. You do not cover jewelry (or cars) with protection, especially if you have AC+ (or insurance) for it.

13. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

IMHO, a "Sport" watch should come with a tough resin case, not aluminium or stainless steel. I've been wearing a Casio ProTrek for the last couple of years that's been dropped, knocked, banged and washed many times. Not a single scratch on the body or face, and it's still going strong.

14. karinatwork macrumors regular

karinatwork

These watches aren't family heirlooms. They are tools, and fashion items. They are not timeless, and they will become outdated... fast. I predict I will upgrade watches as fast as I upgrade iPhones.
    Yes, it bothered me A LOT when I first scratched the watch face. However, I know that I won't keep this watch forever. I may buy a Speck protector at some point, but only for those times when I'm really active (biking, climbing, etc.).

15. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

You say "snobbery", Max, but I don't think it is. It's just experience talking.

People with experience of owning and wearing expensive watches have a "head start" in how they think about and deal with the whole issue of accidental damage to Apple Watch.

- Worried about wearing an expensive watch on your wrist?
    - Worried about maybe spoiling how it looks by damaging it?
    - Having trouble dealing (psychologically) with damage you've actually incurred?

They've been there and done that. This is not to belittle anyone's concerns. But it's worth appreciating that these people have already had the relevant experience with a treasured watch.

I think the advice is good: wear and enjoy Apple Watch for what it was intended to be and how it was intended to look - don't cover it up with a case. If it was supposed to have a case, Apple would have made one.

By all means protect it with AC+ if you're worried about doing something catastrophic - and definitely learn to be more conscious of your arm and hand movement and placement if you're not used to wearing a watch, let alone one that you treasure.

And of course, as others have said - this watch isn't supposed to last a lifetime anyway! You'll probably either want the newest one in one to two years time or never want one again. :)

16. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about cases. I guess the reason I'm getting a Spigen rough armor, or whatever it's called is because as I said I want to be able to change up the look now and then. However, I'm not sure I'll be happy with that look, we'll see when it comes.

I haven't worn a watch in 10 years. If I was out to buy a regular watch I'd be looking at a G-shock or similar style type of watch. That's the look I like. I kind of wish the AW watch was in that style of case personally.

Don't get me wrong, the AW is a very classy watch and is beautiful IMHO. I'm just not a very classy guy! Lol

17. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

I have scratched the hell out of every stainless watch I have ever had on my wrist. I bang them off things, scuff it off rocks, scuff it off bricks, and smack it off every wall and sometimes people close enough.

I have a SS ML. I took it in a mosh pit and a huge crowd for an entire weekend at ROTR, got fairly tipsy with it, and only scuffed the clasp slightly. You have to look at it close and in the right light to see it. I had people notice it, let a few friends try it on, and haven't thought much about it being on my wrist.

It's a watch. I KNOW it is going to be beat to hell. I bought AppleCare+ because it was a $700 Watch and I don't want to pay much to replace it. That is the extent of my care. If I wanted to keep it mint I would have bought it just to put it in a display case. I intend to get my money's worth out of it lol.

18. aschaeferusn macrumors member

Uh...

Yes it is.

Those of you who seem to have such a problem with people buying cases for their electronic (not mechanical, electronic) watches need to get a grip. If you don't want a case, more power to you. I also happen to want to wear my watch (if it ever comes) without a case. There is no problem with people wanting to wear a case, as well. Especially for those people with physically demanding jobs - in that case, those people want something that will hold up like a G-Shock, not like a Patek. Apple watches are meant for everyday use, not as a dress accessory.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple begs to differ.

20. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

It's just advice, not a directive. And there will always be special "cases" ;)

But which do you think is likely to prove more resilient when knocked around?

The complex movement of a self-winding mechanical watch? Or electronic components encased in resin?

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I have AppleCare+, and a $6 screen protector waiting for me when I go on holiday to the states (can't buy them here yet).

That way, the screen protector will cover me for light knocks, and I have AC for when I inevitably smash it to pieces.

22. Spooky73 macrumors member

Apple Watch "cases" need to be banned. Plain and simple. They are ridiculous and are an embarrassment to this product.

Okay - a little extreme but I kind of feel that way.

23. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Glorious. Give some of these readers the hard look in the mirror they need.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I think it's one key factor in most cases....

it's a bunch of people who never or irregularly wear watches.

25. Bromeo, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

Bromeo macrumors regular

The Watch is thin enough that a case or bumper is a possibility. My experience with iPhone cases is they can add grip surface so the phone is less slippery, reducing the risk of accidental drops. Cases also add some protection to the glass display in the event of a drop onto a hard surface.

I don't worry about needing to make the Watch more grippy, but having a "bumper" to protect the display from impact with hard surfaces sounds reasonable to consider if one is in rough environments (rock climbing? mason?) or not used to being mindful of wearing a watch.

The downside with cases and bumpers is they can cause damage by holding abrasive dust and grains in contact with the device. My iPhone 5 looks pretty bad under the case just from that effect.

My other watch is a 15-year-old Rolex Air-King. Interestingly it is nearly the same dimensions as my 38mm AW Sport, including thickness, and I consider my Rolex a sleek, minimalist, and very comfortable watch. The stainless has multitudes of scratches and even a couple of dings after 15 years of daily wear. The sapphire crystal looks new, even though it projects about 1mm above the bezel. The first real scratch to the Rolex was disheartening, but as they accumulated, they all sort of blend together and show a watch that is enjoyed, not pampered. Sure, I could get it polished up to look like new, but why. It still works perfectly, losing or gaining one second a day.

The Rolex did teach me to be more mindful of my arm. If I'm in a rough environment, say walking a narrow passage by a rock wall, I subconsciously move my right arm behind my back. I take off the watch and put it in my pocket if I'm doing something that would risk real damage or pinch hazard. I leave the Rolex at home when hiking in the desert (Arizona sand is some of the most abrasive on Earth). Those habits carry over to the Apple Watch.

In some ways, the Apple Watch is less worrisome. Service on the Rolex can cost as much (or more) than the price of an AW. Losing my Rolex would make me sad and require an insurance claim. Losing or catastrophic damage to the AW? Too bad, but just go buy a new one and restore from backup.

I have considered AppleCare+ on my AW. On the other hand, I bought it on an Amex, which doubles the manufacturer warranty and insures against loss or theft for the first 90 days. I tend to avoid extended warranties and figure the money I save over time on not buying them adds up so that I can afford to repair/replace anything myself (some people have a special savings account just for that). I'm still ahead of the house on that.