In light of all these MagSafe fires...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cababah, Jun 23, 2009.

1. cababah macrumors 68000

Does anyone have a rough statistic on how many people are affected by MagSafe defects such as overheating/melted cables?

2. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

Appoximately 65% of all old MBP users, and 85% of all unibody owners will have their magsafe's spontaneously combust at some point during use.

On a serious note, don't ever have your magsafe plugged in with your macbook on a bed or desk covered in papers/books unattended, and don't yank out the cord when you're done charging.

3. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Going by what I have been informed of the number is not 'massive' but it is a common problem with the agent I was talking to (not the fire) but magsafe problems are 'normal'. (i.e not something that they are shocked to hear about)

Thats the impression I got.

4. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

From what i read is basicly that people that bend the wires are the one affected , just dont bend the wires

5. jdaco6 macrumors regular

My wires have never been bent, I have one adaptor that stays at home and one that I take with me, minimizing any potential bends that could occur!

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I just left my 09 MBP plugged into the adapter for 4 hours unattended and the building did not burn down, so it's somewhere between 0 and 100% *non inclusive) failure rate for the magsafes.

7. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

So a good indicator of a properly working MagSafe adapter is whether or not your place of residence is in ashes or not when you return?

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I wonder why there has been a flood of reports from members on this site recently. I mean, after one person reported a problem, 3 more posted problems all in that same weekend.

I am really starting to re-think the MBP. I love it, and I was really excited, and I was going to take the chance when the fire problem was just some obscure online report--but with our own community starting to go ablaze I am a little put off.

Apple is not taking the right approach to this problem. If they acknowledged it, apologized, and told me: "We have fixed the problem and you do not have to worry", I would buy one.

But all they are doing is replacing the computers for owners.

What if my house burns down, and what if I am in it while it burns?

9. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

This issue has a lot of members pretty heated. I understand you not wanting to burn a hole in your wallet in light of these issues. As long as this problem remains a hot topic, I would recommend extinguishing your plans to purchase one until this issue is put out.

Did I miss any puns?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I didn't say it was a good indicator, I implied that it was "an" indicator.

Yeah, it is a little suspicious. I wonder if Apple changed the construction of the Magsafes or if the new batteries are causing some kind of back current that's screwing things up. I don't know, neither one seems very likely to me.

4 forum members among thousands of MBP purchasers is not a great statistical basis.

I don't really think that's a fair statement. They've been out for what, not even 3 weeks? That's hardly enough time to do a thorough investigation even if there's actually a widespread issue.

Then you won't need to worry about it anymore?

I expected a mention of a "burning desire" or something...