In-line Remote???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kshott, Jan 2, 2008.

1. kshott macrumors member

kshott

My new Touch is great, except for when I'm driving...

On my old iPod (gen. 2), it was easy to control in the car. I'd usually just listen to a playlist in Shuffle mode, and if I didn't want to hear a particular song, I'd just skip to the next one. It was easy to find the button, and I didn't have to look away from the road to do it.

Not so much with the Touch. No way can I do it without looking away from the road. And if it's slid or tilted, it makes it even harder.

My old iPod came with a remote that could go in-line between the earphone jack and the aux. jack on my Element. But, it doesn't fit in the Touch's earphone jack.

Anybody know of one that will? Or know of an adapter for the one I have?

I've seen some of the wireless ones, but I don't need it to be wireless. And they're way expensive.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

On my iPhone (close enough I think) I have the home button set to bring up the iTunes controls when your press it twice. I kinda just "know" where to press on the screen without looking I guess. I don't have a hardware solution for ya though.

3. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

This is one of the biggest things I miss about the new iPods. I had a 3G 20GB iPod which came with a free dock, inline remote, and the usual earbuds. But that remote was awesome when out walking. No-one knew you had an iPod you could just clip it underneath your shirt.

4. kshott thread starter macrumors member

kshott

Yeah, it'd be nice to have something like that. The Touch is great, but not the most practical thing for some applications. You'd think Apple would have thought of that, and have a solution.

5. agentkow macrumors 6502

agentkow

Even without a physical remote, I would love the ability to just set the double clicking behavior to something else.

It can't be that hard to make double-click = play/pause or click-and-hold = skip song or something like that.

6. delude macrumors 6502

Lets see...

How hard would it be for somebody to use the accelerometer at the springboard? If an application was made that could do this, then when installed and at the springboard if you shake the iPod, it could change 'mode' in a way so that home button could be used differently. To show that it is in this changed mode a simple dot could be placed by the carrier text. This wouldn't be hard to do as it can already be modified. Then when it is shaken again it would go back to the normal mode or whatever.

Something along those lines (maybe using something other than shaking?) would be pretty cool.

7. chall5 macrumors regular

you'd think, this issue is my biggest (and only to be honest) problem with the Touch, otherwise its a great product IMHO

8. mrg6290 macrumors newbie

9. kshott thread starter macrumors member

kshott

10. kshott thread starter macrumors member

kshott

anybody know if I could take my old 2nd gen remote, and just splice a new plug it, and have it still work?