Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
I've been using iOS 7 for a month or so now and I don't think it was this way in iOS 6 but when I am using my Mail app... I can DELETE emails that are Yahoo inboxes, but when I'm in any of my Gmail inboxes the only option it gives me when I swipe is ARCHIVE?

Why can't I delete those emails?..

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I use Gmail with the default Mail app. When you swipe left on the individual message in the Message List, your 2 choices are not grey More and red Trash?

I have my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 still running iOS 6. When I go to Settings > Mail > Account there is a choice for toggling Archive Deleted Messages ON/OFF. On my iPad Mini-R, running iOS 7, following the same path, there is no option for that choice. I retain the function on the iPad Mini-R because it is selected for my Gmail accounts on the other 2 iOS 6 devices.

I can't find the Setting for Delete instead of Archive in iOS 7, either. There is an Ask Before Deleting toggle but that's about it. :(

Although I don't need it, I'd like to know the answer to this one, too.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
In Mail App, Yahoo emails can delete, Gmail can only archive?

I use Gmail with the default Mail app. When you swipe left on the individual message in the Message List, your 2 choices are not grey More and red Trash?

I have my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 still running iOS 6. When I go to Settings > Mail > Account there is a choice for toggling Archive Deleted Messages ON/OFF. On my iPad Mini-R, running iOS 7, following the same path, there is no option for that choice. I retain the function on the iPad Mini-R because it is selected for my Gmail accounts on the other 2 iOS 6 devices.

I can't find the Setting for Delete instead of Archive in iOS 7, either. There is an Ask Before Deleting toggle but that's about it. :(

Although I don't need it, I'd like to know the answer to this one, too.

When you swipe left to delete a G-Mail mail in iOS Mail app, select "More" instead of "Archive", select "Move message" and select "Trash". One can also just open the mail message and long press the "file box" at the bottom of screen where the trash can is ordinarily and select "Trash Message".

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Thanks for that. I don't see that option listed under More, most likely because I already have Delete available immediately. I did look, to see if Archive was listed in my More menu instead. It is not immediately available..

I also have the Trash can shown next to the Folder.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
I think this is related to the way google organized their mailboxes with delete not really an option. They want to hold onto all our emails for "market research" :eek:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think this is related to the way google organized their mailboxes with delete not really an option. They want to hold onto all our emails for "market research" :eek:
Except that you can delete them, as already mentioned.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Alternatively, you can change the behavior for discarded mail to delete instead of archive. It's in the advanced section of your gmail account in Mail, Contact, Calendars.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
In Mail App, Yahoo emails can delete, Gmail can only archive?

Thanks for that. I don't see that option listed under More, most likely because I already have Delete available immediately. I did look, to see if Archive was listed in my More menu instead. It is not immediately available..

I also have the Trash can shown next to the Folder.

Are you running iOS 7? Make sure you are using iOS Mail app with iOS 7.

----------

Alternatively, you can change the behavior for discarded mail to delete instead of archive. It's in the advanced section of your gmail account in Mail, Contact, Calendars.

Explain the "Advanced" section of Mail, Contacts, Calendars? In iOS 7.1.1, there isn't an "Advanced" tab.

[Edit] I found it: Go to Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars/(your G-Mail mail account)/Account/Advanced.

Last edited:

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Are you running iOS 7? Make sure you are using iOS Mail app with iOS 7.
----------

Explain the "Advanced" section of Mail, Contacts, Calendars? In iOS 7.1.1, there isn't an "Advanced" tab.

[Edit] I found it: Go to Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars/(your G-Mail mail account)/Account/Advanced.

I'm running iOS 7.1.1 on the iPad Mini-R and as I said, have Delete readily available at first swipe. However, I finally found the setting for deleting (where I must've set it also last November) after following the path you detailed above. I marvel that I found it last year & obviously didn't remember now. :eek: Could they have buried that setting any farther down the rabbit hole? *sigh*

Now where's that OP? :)

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
I'm running iOS 7.1.1 on the iPad Mini-R and as I said, have Delete readily available at first swipe. However, I finally found the setting for deleting (where I must've set it also last November) after following the path you detailed above. I marvel that I found it last year & obviously didn't remember now. :eek: Could they have buried that setting any farther down the rabbit hole? *sigh*

Now where's that OP? :)

I know it. I have 2 G-Mail accounts for non personal stuff. The last thing I really want to do is archive those emails. It amazes me too.

AngelSingz

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2015
I don't know if you guys know this already since this post is around 6 months old but I just found out why the delete button isn't there.

Settings< mail,contacs,calendar< Go to your gmail name < Account < scroll all the way down till you see Advanced < then you'll see "move discarded emails into: "Archived Mailbox is checked so just check "Deleted Mailbox" and make sure you press done when you go back to the account #

*follow the pics from left to right*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 435
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.