in major need of buying advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by megatot, Feb 8, 2008.

1. megatot macrumors newbie

so i am making the decision to get a notebook and really want a macbook. however, i hate to spend $1100 on a new one when i dont really need it to do very much (we have an iMac which is our primary computer... i just basically want something for internet, itunes and photos) ... i have done a fair amount of research and noticed that ibooks get rave reviews and they are all over ebay, amazon, etc... i would prefer to not spend over $800... can anyone guide me in the right direction? would it make sense to buy an ibook off of ebay and then upgrade its features (i am not a computer whiz but my husband is). thank you so much! :eek:

2. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I would look on ebay or the refurb shop before going to iBook - the move from the PPC architecture to intel is why I say this - going back to the g4 or g3 when you can probably get an intel is most likely a bad idea when thinking about the future / current applications you might use.

Look around I am sure you can find a macbook in your price range - it may not be the latest one, but find one you can.

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Agreed. You can get a 1.83ghz intel core 2 duo off of Apple's refurb site for $799. This would be a much faster machine, and much more viable for years to come; not to mention come with a full 1 year warranty.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if you have to get a mac, then refurb is the only choice.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yeah, refurb Core Duo. Check the refurb store early and often. They go fast (the cheapest ones), so be prepared to buy on sight.

6. rowath macrumors newbie

Yeah, I agree with everyone. Just grab a refurb from the Apple site and you should be good to go. Stock changes, so if you don't see something, just check back a bit later.