In need of a good digital camcorder. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by h1r0ll3r, Mar 1, 2012.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

So I got a trip planned later this year and I'd like to take some video while I'm there. Obviously there are a ton of different types/brands/etc and I've never owned one before. I'm looking to see if any of you have any experience/recommendations on which brands are good or which models are good.

I'm not trying to break the bank on one as I see some are in the $500-$1000+ range. Don't think I need a fancy one like that nor will I get a cheap crappy one either. I had been looking at the Canon FS400 as well as a couple from JVC but not sure if one is better than the other or what. I think the max I'm willing to spend is around $300 or so.

Any of you have any suggestions on what camcorder is a good bang for the buck?

PS I'm not into the whole Flip camcorders as I think they look like crap. Looking for something a little more upscale than those.

2. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

Not tying to break the bank??

Doesn't that go against your username??? :D

3. Zerozal macrumors 6502

So you want to pay less than $500? Could you explain some features you need that you can't get by using your iPhone 4? What do you need to do that your iPhone can't do? That should help people suggest specific models for you.