In need of a gym buff/physical trainer...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MBHockey, Jul 28, 2007.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Ok so, I've worked out for a while. I don't claim to know a lot about working out and everything, but doing it for 6 years makes you think you know at least something.

Well, I'm stumped on this one...

I last worked out in April. I was working out often, probably 4-5 times a week with weights, 3 times a week swimming, and 2 times a week running. I was training for a triathlon. I haven't done anything since the triathlon. I got a job and moved to Virginia. I started work July 9th, and just got back to the gym last week.

First day back, i did chest and triceps. Pretty light on the free weights just to get back into it. Everything was high reps. Two days later (Wednesday, July 25th) I decide to do back and bi's. nothing crazy again. 3 exercises for each muscle at three sets. Again, high reps. Each muscle group ended with a drop set, this time.

My arms were tight when i left the gym. The next few days they were extremely sore, but this is to be expected. But they were so sore that I (even today) have extreme pain when trying to make them completely straight.

But what wasn't expected is how swollen my forearms/elbow area have become in the last few days. To me, they look deformed. There are large areas of noticeable swelling. I can hardly pinch together the skin it is so taught. it is tender to the touch. This extends from my elbow to the middle of my forearm. The areas that are swollen directly coincide with what has been extremely sore.

So my question is...what the hell did i do to myself?

Both forearms and elbows are like this. Did i sprain something? It's been 3 days (going on 4). It seems to be getting better, but it's just freaking me out looking at these elephantiasis looking things.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While I can see you seeking advice from a gym buff or personal trainer. If things are that bad you may want to seek medical advice. I'm just saying that it's never a great idea to allow people in a forum diagnose you, sometimes it gets a bit scary.

I'm sorry to hear that you're hurt.

3. applecrag macrumors regular

this happened to me a while back although i cant remember me thinking my arms were deformed. i asked my dad (an orthopaedist) what was wrong and i had just severely overworked my arms after a hard workout coming off of a rest. have you made sure to ice your arms every night? try and follow the RICE methods...Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

4. ~J~ macrumors 6502

WebMD is a GREAT resource for all kinds of medical questions... might check there: (www.webmd.com). Good luck, and some good rest and ice may help with the swelling.

5. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I should have thought of that, it's like ingrained in me. But no, I haven't been doing it. I was just looking for tips more than anything, because it doesn't hurt enough where I think I'd need to see someone about it, and they don't look SO weird that I think i need immediate attention -- they are just a bit swollen.

Thanks for the advice.

If it doesn't subside by Monday I will try to find a professional to ask.

6. applecrag macrumors regular

yes i remember i would have to sleep with my arms folded because i couldnt stretch them out. you probably just tore up that muscle pretty badly and now it just needs to repair. :) most likely nothing to worry about...but yeah, dont hesitate to get professional care if it doesnt go away.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you're probably fine. I had been away from the gym for years when I went back in my early 20's. I remember how much it hurt going back. It was really embarrassing, because I went to dinner with a friend one night and couldn't lift my fork to eat. It hurt that bad. I think what you've done is a strain and will heal fine on it's own. But again, if it doesn't go away soon, see a doctor.