In need of a new phone.. (not iPhone!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BreakGuy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm in need of a new mobile phone. Due to monetary constraints, I've narrowed my options down to the LG Optimus 2X and the LG Optimus 3D.

Both these phones have dual-core 1GHz A9 processors and 512MB RAM, with 480x800 pixel resolutions on 4" and 4.3" WVGA screens respectively.

Also, before anyone mentions it, I'm not prepared to fork out an iPhone nor anything with a price tag near that of an iPhone.

If anyone could share some wisdom, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

most carriers have free phones ... just pay for usage

3. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

This depends heavily on your carrier, I'd assume. Unless all smartphones in the UK are unlocked by default, in which case, damn America for having a corrupt cell phone industry.

4. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

These phones come unlocked.

5. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

O2 have a deal on Samsung stuff at the moment....Contract or PAYG. I have to grab them today....My contract is expired and they have not bothered to contact me about a new one.

They hate people who own phones....Can't lock me in, that's the advantage of owning I guess.

7. randomhkkid macrumors member

asda sale

Asda has the HTC evo 3d on sale for £250 at the moment. I just picked one up for my brother. Review say its better than the LG 3d phone.

8. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

In case you haven't noticed yet, I'm in New Zealand and will be buying my phone from NZ, so overseas deals need not apply to me. Customs duties and taxes make it unreasonable to import as well.

9. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I wouldn't go with LG's Android phones; if they are anything like what they are in the States in the UK, they're crappy all around, from build-quality to their skinning of the Android OS. I'd go with HTC. If you can use an unlocked Galaxy Nexus, given that I own and am fond of the American version, I'd recommend that, though for some stupid reason you do forgo the microSD card slot.

10. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm afraid for a good HTC phone, it's a bit out of my price range. I've got a cheap HTC phone at the moment and I'm not all that fond of it - it cannot multitask well and freezes a lot, requiring constant resets.

This comparison is helping me decide (a little bit). I'm not sure whether 3D is worth it. It may be more resource hungry, slowing the phone down altogether. I mean, if I did get 3D, I'd really only use it for cheap bragging rights :rolleyes:

By the way, the 3D phone is slightly cheaper than the 2X.

11. gpat macrumors 6502a

LG Android builds are a nightmare. If you want Android, go Samsung. Or HTC, but I like Samsung better.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

13. Apple2 macrumors member

Apple2

Yeah go with the 2x. The 3D stuff is cool for a few days, but then gets annoying .