In need of a new setup.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by GeorgeN111, Jan 9, 2012.

1. GeorgeN111 macrumors regular

Hello everyone. Hope you are all well. I have a dilemma regarding the ideal setup for me. Currently I have an iMac 27" 2.66 Ghz (2009 model) iPad 2 and an iPhone 4s. Here is the dilemma. My father has always said that if i ever wanted to get another mac, he would buy mine off me and give me the money for another mac. I have always had the intention of giving him my iMac before I leave for Uni due to the fact it won't be as practicle and I would get a more portable computer which in my case would be the MacBook Air. They are awesome IMO. Earlier today he offered me a deal. I would give him my iMac this August and he would buy me while on holiday in California the equivalent of the 4gb 128gb 11" MacBook Air. I also figured that I would no longer really need my iPad and I could sell that and put some money towards an Apple Cinema Display. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Would this combination of a MacBook Air and Cinema Display be good for University. I figured I could take notes etc on the MacBook Air while also having a monitor to plug it into when I get back to the accommodation and I would also have my iPhone if i go out without needing to take the Mac which IMO would in my case remove the need for an iPad. I am studying Law in University by the way which means that it will be used for a lot of writing.

Will there be new MacBook Airs out my Late July/August?

Please let me know what you think guys. Would this be an ideal setup for me and is that a good deal taking into account my current computer.

Many thanks, George.

2. Xikum macrumors 6502

Of course its a good deal. A 2011 MBA+TBD is pretty much perfect for your needs; bring your laptop to classes, and then plug it in to the TBD when your at your dorm.

If its possible for you to do so, then do it. Not only that, but a 2011 MBA is more powerful than a 2009 iMac, so you will notice a performance increase too (and a significant one at that). It really is better in every way. Personally I would sell your iPad as well, I don't see you using that very often if you have a MBA; sell it, buy Applecare for your MBA, or drink it.

If you cant wait till mid 2012, buy the MBA now. The performance increase Ivy Bridge will bring isnt astronomical; it will be something like 10-20%, which really isn't noticeable at all in general everyday use. Saying that, the new Intel HD 4000 will be alot better than current generations HD 3000, which would help to power your TBD. If you can wait, great, if not, buying the 2011 version will still be an excellent purchase.

3. mac26 macrumors 6502

Go for it, my father is buying me a 2011 MacBook Air 11" on the terms that I sell my 2010 macbook air (base 11") and pay for the difference
    if you are coming from C2D (or in your case 1st gen. Core iX)
    it will be a large speed upgrade that'll last you a long time

I also recommend getting the belkin thunderbolt express port when it comes out in september because you stated you are getting a cinema display and so to get all the ports of ATD you can buy this
    Thats what I am going to do to pair up with my external monitor so I have ports of ATD and a screen that is much cheaper!

4. anirudh macrumors 6502

Although I have never had any problems with my 13" Air KB, there are a couple of threads here mentioning typing on the 11" for extended periods of time was really not all that good. If you can try going to the apple store and see if you are ok with the KB.

That being said, the setup you mention sounds perfect :)

5. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help guys. I was hoping to get the MacBook Air in August and would wait until then because that is when i go on vacation to America. Do you think that the 2012 MacBook Air will be out by then?

6. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I think it would be a safe bet, and there will probably be USB 3 on the new machines as well.

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

That is highly questionable.

8. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Why? USB is supposed to be built into Ivy Bridge, do you think Apple would almost go out of the way not to include it?

9. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Just because its built in, doesn't mean Apple will support it. I'm not saying they won't, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I am using a 13" mid 2011 air to take into uni, and so are two other people on my course, and I can tell you it is great, so light, slips into my bag, will be even better with the 11" and I would of got the 11" too but I just felt too uncomfortable on it, they are so small, but they look awesome, as you are getting the TB display, you sound good to go.
    However, we don't know what Apple has up its sleeve with the next pro, and the top news story on macrumors right now is that a retina display may be coming it's way, there could well be a new air out by August too. So obviously you will reconsider your options then. If you were going now, I would say that it would be a pretty sweet uni set up.

Out of interest, why are you giving up your 27" iMac, they are beautiful machines, I am considering a TB display with my MBA too right now, but I am waiting for the 2012 iMac update and deciding then which to get.

11. felixgun macrumors member

The current gen MBA right now is awesome... it boots up so fast and is remarkably fast for it's specs... I think it's due to having a solid state drive. It definitely suits your needs as a college student as well.

As for the Cinema Display... if you can afford one I say go for it! It's so sleek looking and minimizes in cable clutter since you can hook it up via the Thunderbolt port. It's definitely on my to-buy list thats for sure :D

12. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

]Thanks for the continued help everyone. I will wait till August and hopefully there will be a new one out by then. As for not keeping the iMac, I am practically swapping it for a MacBook Air. I am selling my iMac to my father. In terms of if I have time to wait. I won't be going to Law School until July 2013. I just want to organise my setup soon because I could do with a more portable setup. Although it would be feasable to keep the iMac and still go with this setup I prefer to have one computer. That is all I need. A portable and powerful computer for Uni and a monitor so that I can achieve some more screen real estate. I was also looking at the Dell U2711. Is this monitor better than the TB Display or should I just go with an Apple display.

13. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I really think the TB display is awesome, it runs seamlessly with the MacBook, look at some youtube videos for the air and TB display. If you can afford the TB display, I think it's awesome anyway.
    Plus, I don't know if it is the same in the USA but here in the UK we get a student discount on computers and displays, so I could buy the TB display for around £730 rather then £900. You should look into it.

14. YosemiteSam81 macrumors member

YosemiteSam81

If I were you I would go with the 13. I absolutely love my machine....but personally after working on the 11", I found it too small. Have you spent time on one at the Apple store? The best way is to spend some time on it and then make the decision.

15. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Reviews on anandtech seem to indicate that the displays are more or less equivalent. One does better here, the other there. Unless you're looking at really graphical stuff (for print in particular) I think it comes down to if you want the apple extras (thunderbolt, charger, etc...) or you want the increased connectivity (The Dell has a wider variety of input ports). There is also the infamous glare of the Apple Display (Though it never really bothered me). And if you are looking to do print media I think you would be looking at higher end displays in the first place.

16. Fastball32 macrumors member

If I was absolutely forced to have only one computer, I would definitely choose a 15" MacBook Pro.
    There are a lot of rumors that a 15" MBP will be more Air-like (loss of optical drive, slimmer, and lighter), also possibly a Retina Display. MacBook Pro's and iMac's are generally refreshed in the beginning of the year, and the MBP will likely be a complete redesign for this year.
    The MacBook Air probably will not change in design for at least another year, if not two years, so a redesigned MacBook Pro would be a better investment for resale purposes.

Also, a MacBook Pro can handle 16gb of Ram, can be a quad core, has a much better graphics card, and the ability to upgrade the hard drive (or 2 hard drives) for much cheaper. If you can afford a $2000 laptop and can carry 2 more pounds, get the Pro if it is redesigned.

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

18. anirudh macrumors 6502

IMO, the chances of Apple providing USB 3.0 are slim. They would want to promote Thunderbolt devices, wouldn't they?

19. Fastball32 macrumors member

USB 3.0 will come standard with all motherboards supporting Ivy Bridge, so chances are good.

20. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks for the help everyone. Sorry about the slow reply. As for the suggestion of the MacBook Pro, i understand, but i have never been fond of the MacBook Pro's and certainly not the 15" version. I much prefer the 13" version. You can tell why i like the 11" MacBook Pro. I like to have my laptops as portable as possible. This will work in my favour as soon as i start University and need to carry a computer to lectures. As for the Thunderbolt Display, i think i will go for that instead of the Dell U2711. I like the glossy screen that i have on my iMac at the moment and i get 15% off of Apple Products due to me having what you call an NUS card in the UK. Higher Education Student Discount.

Another question i have is how often do you people that have MacBook Airs upgrade and do MacBook Airs retain their value. I know my iMac has and i just wondered whether this is the case which the airs.

As for the release of the 2012 models and when i was hoping to buy the new one. Have they all been released in the past before August. I don't want to wait till then and then just have to buy the 2011 model because the 2012 model is not out. For those who wonder what i am talking about. I hope to buy the MacBook Air in August because that is when i visit America. I will get the Display back home using the discount because i can't get that on the plane haha.

21. KPOM macrumors G5

With all the Ivy Bridge-based ultrabooks announced at CES last week, I think the odds are extremely good that the new MacBook Air will be out by August, if not sooner, and that it will support USB 3.0, since it's included in the Ivy Bridge chipsets.

I have used a MacBook Air since 2008 and so far have resisted the iPad, partly because the MacBook Air is so small. Be aware that the MacBook Air can't run iOS content, though, so if you have any iBooks you should keep an iOS device of some sort (unless Apple changes that as part of its education-related announcement later this week).

Regarding the 11" model's keyboard, it is virtually identical to the 13" model, apart from the shorter FN keys. I have not had a problem with it since I started using an 11" model last year.

22. GeorgeN111 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thats good news. The sooner the better! :) As for having an iOS device. I still have my iPhone 4s which is another reason why its so increasingly easy for me to sell my iPad. I normally grab my iPhone before my iPad now. These will decrease even more when i have a portable MacBook Air.