In need of a powerful notebook for editing video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seinfeld84, Jun 2, 2008.

1. seinfeld84 macrumors newbie

I am responsible for creating promos and videos for an organization at the university I attend and have been given permission to pick out a new notebook for me to use to edit on. I have been using a Dell with Adobe Premier Pro but am thinking I need to upgrade to a Mac to do the things I want. I need some advice on what to get. Money is not really an issue seeing as the university is buying it. The only stipulations are: Powerful, reliable, and for video editing. If you could give me specs too that would be great. Also, if you have any opinions on if I should stay with Adobe Premiere Pro or go to Final Cut Pro please share.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Top-of-the-line MacBook Pro (if money is no object).

2.6GHz FullHD 17" display. Should set you back something just North of $3000.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Any Macbook Pro is fine.. go for the lower one if you have a budget and get a firewire external drive for a scratch disk. If you're doing HD, go 4GB of ram (aftermarket) but if you're just doing SD, 2GB will be fine.

FCP is way better than Premiere.

4. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I'm surprised anyone still uses Premiere. FCP or Avid.

5. pwnographer macrumors newbie

I'm in the midst of trying to decide on a 2.4 GHz MBP for video editing and a 24 inch 3.06 GHz iMAC with the new 512 MB NVidia Geforce 8800 graphics card (which I know would be SWEET for editing). Any particular reason you need a notebook? Quicktime files burn onto DVD's pretty easily should you need to show your superiors samples/clips/demos before the promo projects are complete.

GL :)

6. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

Macbook Pro for sure. I'll post more in one of your other three threads...

7. seinfeld84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Notebook vs. Desktop

The reason that I need a notebook is because the University will technically own the computer but it will need to constantly be in my possession so I can do work while I am at home. If I had to do all my editing at the school on a desktop than I would need to bring a sleeping bag with me if you catch my drift. Everyone seems to think that I need to move to Final Cut but will it be difficult for me to make the transition to a new program from Adobe Premeire Pro? Im fairly new to the world of video editing and while Im confident I could teach myself the basic stuff Im nervous that it would be completely alien.

8. Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    I have had many people tell me that Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro work alot alike. I am a huge fan of Final Cut Pro and my friend learned Adobe Premiere in school. When he switched over to Final Cut Pro he didn't have any troubles at all. I just showed him a quick run down of things and he was off. So don't be afraid to make the switch. Definately get the 4gb of ram and 17'' inch screen to do video editing on. Or you could buy the 15'' and get a external monitor and run two screens..

Good Luck!