In need of assistance ( snycing issue )

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaunmorelli, Dec 26, 2010.

1. shaunmorelli macrumors newbie

Ok so I just got a new macbook pro and i have an imac at home as a desktop. I want to keep these two computers in snyc with each other however, on my desktop my itunes library and all my media is on an external hard drive and i want to access it and keep it in snyc with my laptop without actually copying the media to my laptop because there is not enough space an just run it off the external hard drive. i have a time machine backup of my imac on the external hard drive but it doesn't seem like a very effective way to keep these two computers in sync. I don't really want to do it over a network id like o be able to keep them both in sync using the external hard drive. Also i started my new laptop off the backup on the external hard drive but i cant access any media this way for some reason.If there is a way to do this with firewire that would work too. I hope this is clear enough.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

If you move your itunes library over to the drive, you can hold OPTION while starting iTunes and it will ask you where the library is and you can pick the external.

3. shaunmorelli thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you that will solve the itunes issue i think. But what about all the other files and folders such as pictures and stuff to keep in snyc

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

What programs specifically? Im trying to find something else for you but the programs might be able to do it.

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You can move the whole "Home" directory pretty easy but that will move documents, downloads, etc... all to the external so if you want any of those you will have to have the external plugged in during bootup.

The other option is to create an alias to a folder. If you tell me what other media you need done, I can give you more detailed instructions.

6. shaunmorelli thread starter macrumors newbie

The i tried the steps off the first post but it said the itunes library file is locked. most of my music and and rest of my media in itunes is on the external hardrive however there are some files still on the imac's hardrivve. i would like all the media basically everything in itunes to work on both computer and my photos and documents. that's really all i need to work on both computers and maybe a random file or program here and there.What i want is that i don't have to be redownloading stuff onto both computers and that they both contain the same files. i don't know what moving the home directory is a little further explanation would help. Sorry for taking awhile to respond i've been away without internet.

Thanks