In need of help): System requirements

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z-Nasty, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Z-Nasty macrumors newbie

Okay, so I was scrolling through co-op steam games to play with my girlfriend (we're long distance so we don't have much to do) and we stumbled upon Dead Island- As I go to check the system requirements it reads:

Minimum:
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2.7 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVidia GeForce GT 640M 512MB

and I have a MBP late 2011 13 inch
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2.4 GHz
    Graphics: Intel HD graphics 3000 384 MB
    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Can I still run this game?

Attached Files:

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements, however it will probably play it (poorly) if you upgrade to 10.8

Barney

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Let me put it simply. You want a computer with numbers equal or higher than those shown.

You have an i5 @ 2.5GHz, whereas they recommend an i7 @ 2.7GHz

You have half the recommended RAM. 4GB vs 8GB.

You also have an integrated graphics card (and a crappy one at that). The Intel 3000HD is fine for word processing and such, but for gaming, it pretty much sucks. The nVidia recommended would run circles around your 3000HD (it is roughly twice as powerful) and has dedicated VRAM (512MB) to boot. The 3000HD uses the computer's RAM as VRAM. Computer RAM is much slower than dedicated VRAM.

Rule of thumb of computers: bigger number is better, be it a model number or a frequency (MHz, GHz). Any graphics card with Intel in its name is called an "integrated" graphics card and is usually crappy. Dedicated cards are usually made by nVidia or ATI.

You might be able to play your game, at the very very lowest resolution and detail level. Don't expect stellar performance.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is why I discourage gamers from buying macbooks...