in need of mashup/dj/music editing software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SilentBob1337, May 6, 2008.

1. SilentBob1337 macrumors newbie

ok, so i recently went to a girl talk (mashup artist) concert, and returned with a bleeding inspiration to create my own mashups. i tried on garage band, but quickly realized that you can only adjust the tempo for the entire song, not individual tracks. i then spent a long time trying to find dj software. my problem with those is that i can't edit it like garage band. so what i'm looking for is something like disco dj, which allows you to alter the tempo of individual decks, but something less real-time-ish, that you can go back and edit, cut things out, copy, paste, etc. if you understand what i'm saying, and you have any suggestions, please help.

p.s.
    the program girl talk uses, and how he uses it, is in this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KykbPtRb0K4

thats basically what i want, but he uses windows, and i need something for mac. it seems pretty simple, i guess.

and thanks a million to anyone who has any advice. this is something i really want to do.

2. twixed311 macrumors newbie

I was just looking into this too, and apparently Pro Tools is the best program for macs right now. I found a version to download somewhere, but to actually use the program you need to have this OTHER program called iLok and I'm not sure where to find that. hopefully that helps, write back if you find another good program!

3. Ben Kei macrumors regular

Probably the best thing you could look at for this is Ableton Live.

It does exactly what you said you need and loads more too.
    I know people who use it as a DJing program and others who use it to create music, it lends itself very easily to both.
    You can set it to respond to either MIDI or keyboard (or both) inputs so it'll be as in depth or as lightweight as you need it to be.

They offer a 14 day trial too without restrictions.

http://www.ableton.com/

4. krunklekicks macrumors newbie

silent bob
    did you end up deciding on a program yet?