In need of my second mac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HazzFq, Jun 14, 2010.

1. HazzFq macrumors member

At the moment i own a Macbook Pro since around 2007-2008, i am currently studying Music Technology so i need a fairly fast responsive computer, I was thinking of buying an imac and using that at home and then deleting most of what i have on my macbook pro to use for taking to classes and doing work away from home.

However would that be the best idea or would it be easier to just replace this computer with a new macbook pro? this MBP runs fine, it just would be a good time to get a new one in summer ready for the new term.

So basically I'm asking would my macbook pro improve performance if i deleted most of the applications and near enough reset the computer?

and

When buying a macbook pro are you sacrificing power for the fact its mobile?

Cheers

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Tell more about your usage. What Apps are you using? In what tasks is your current MBP too slow? Anyway, you already have a good MBP and new one wouldn't be that much faster thus I would invest on iMac as it's almost as twice as fast as fastest MBP (iMac i7). The screen is also amazing and 4 RAM slots are crucial for future RAM upgrades

3. HazzFq thread starter macrumors member

My main program i use is Logic 9, but i will also most likely be using Pro Tools. My macbook pro slows down generally when i have a lot of audio within logic, for example if i am creating all the sound for a video clip... i have to enter a lot of sounds (footsteps, punches, gun shots...etc) and that is when it starts to run slightly slower or freeze.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

To answer your last question, if you stay within the same price range, yes you are sacrificing power for portability.