In need of opinions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kevin.m, Jan 29, 2012.

1. kevin.m macrumors newbie

So I have come to face a dilemma. Now, I do not know if this is the appropriate category to start this thread on, but since it is regarding an iPad I thought it would be relevant enough.

My dilemma is, I am contemplating selling my iPad 2 on kijiji since I have heard rumors of an iPad 3. Not to mention, this one has lost a little bit of its charm for me (not entirely, though). I wanted to share some background information and hopefully get some personal opinions from people.

I have had this iPad 2 since July 2011. It's in very good condition despite a tiny little nick it has on one corner. Shortly after I bought my iPad 2, I got an iPhone 4. Ever since then, I have felt a little bit of regret buying the iPad because my phone essentially does everything I would use the iPad for, just not as well as it would on a bigger screen. I had the 3gs before I got my iPhone 4, but I hated the resolution on it so it was only after I got the 4 did I really appreciate having an iPhone. And now the one thing that turns me off most about the iPad 2 is the resolution in comparison to the iPhone 4 (or 4s now), and that's where the rumors of the iPad 3 has caught my attention.

It is rumored that the resolution will be greatly increased, right? I can definitely see this happening as other tablets already have higher resolution, and it was something everyone was expecting for the second generation iPad. It would be a bad move on apple if they did not include it. This motivates me to want to sell my iPad 2 now, but I find myself in a little bit of doubt as my mom keeps saying it is a horrible idea to sell it. (I'm 17 years old, grade 12 student). She has an iPad 2 as well, and she says that I will regret it if I do. This leaves me in a bit of confusion as her opinion obviously makes an impact on my logic. This is why I am posting this, I need some opinions and some insight on everything.

Thank you for reading this if you have made it this far already. I appreciate all opinions!

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

2nd that

4. irDigital0l Guest

So your going to get the iPad 3 no matter what?

In that case, sell the iPad 2 now because as soon as the iPad 3 is announced/released, your resell price will drop.

And since you have an iPhone 4, you aren't left cold. iPad 3 will probably be announced late feb/early march and have a release date one week after its been announced (based on previous time frames).

As for better screen, the chances of it having a better screen than the same screen is highly likely.

5. DrNoellyG macrumors member

Sorry the iPad couldn't keep you interested the whole way, but that happens sometimes. I used the iPhone 4S and that was my first contact with the retina display so I can see why you fel the way you feel. Maybe the next iPad will be more up your tree. Regarding resolution, yes, most rumors point to yes and even though I don't have a crystal ball, I think the resolution will increase. Your mother certainly has a right to her opinion, as you to yours. I understand that her opinion carries weight with you.

As far as selling your current iPad… do you think the iPad 3 will make you use it more? Having buyers remorse since July is a long time my friend. I think any iPad might be overkill for you at this point.

Sell your current iPad for was much as you can, then wait to see how you feel. If you don't feel iPad withdrawal symptoms, then maybe you don't need an iPad, any iPad, at all and you are a few hundred dollars richer. If you feel that you made a horrible decision selling your iPad, chances are you only have 6 to 8 weeks before a new one is released and then you can get that. Life is all about decisions, and if these type of decisions are the most complicated ones you will make in your life, then you are truly blessed.

6. kevin.m thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much !!! Your insight really helped. If I do sell it, it may occur to me that I don't even want an iPad since I tend to use my iPhone a little more. But if I end up regretting it, a new (much better) one is just around the corner that can re-fill the hole (if there even is one!).

But in all honesty, I feel like its more of an anxiety getting rid of it since I have had it for a while now and I do tend to use it at night going to bed.... (Plus my mom telling me its a horrible idea doesn't encourage me). But that's all really. I really don't use it for anything else but movies in bed and watching YouTube subscriptions and playing a few games the odd time. For anything serious regarding school, I grab my laptop that I also bought about two years ago. For anything fixed on the go, I never take my iPad. My iPhone is good enough.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I notice you say your mom thinks selling the iPad is a bad idea, but don't tell us WHY she thinks it's a bad idea. Hard to say how you should deal with her opposition without knowing her rationale for it. I tend to agree with the idea that you should sell your iPad as a "trial separation" to see if you even need an iPad at all. But if your Mom bought the iPad for you, then she has some say in this. Even if you bought it yourself or it was a gift from someone else, it's better to be able to talk to her about why selling the iPad is the right decision for you. So does she have any specific reasons why she's opposed to selling the iPad?

8. kevin.m thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to note, my mom has not purchased anything for me. My iPad 2 and iPhone 4 I bought with money that I had earned from a seasonal job last summer.

She thinks it is a really bad idea because she thinks I will need it for college and for an upcoming trip we are going on, and just in general she thinks I will regret it. Though I don't necessarily even use my iPad for school purposes at all. Like I said in the first post, I always switch to my laptop when I need to do anything remotely serious with surfing the internet for research or writing reports. Well then you may ask well why does her opinion influence you then? The answer to that is it just does because shes my mom. (Not implying that I am condemned by my mothers decisions on everything, but I tend to take her advice seriously as, well, she is my my mom).

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When is this trip? As for needing it during college, does she understand that you are selling it now so you will have the money to buy the iPad 3 or whatever else you decide on later? It sounds like you and her aren't quite on the same page!

10. anirudh macrumors 6502

Well, now that you know the reason why she thinks its a bad idea, what do YOU think? Seriously, I know parents are wise and all, but I don't expect my mom to give me wise decisions about iPad upgrades :D Just saying

11. shadrap macrumors 6502

12. Brounmoney macrumors 6502

I am not sure if I agree about the screen on the iPhone 4 or s being overwhelmingly better. The iPad 2 has a great screen. I would have to agree with the other people who are saying maybe you don't need an iPad at all. If you feel that your iPhone could do the trick why get an iPad. The 3 want be that much better than the 2.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I agree with what some people have said. Sell it now, before the value drops, and put the money aside if possible. If you miss having an iPad by the time the three comes out you can either put that money toward a new three or even a (rumored) lower priced two.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Nobody KNOWS what the Ipad 3 will bring. This FACT makes most discussions somewhat useless.