In Need Of Some Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Koburne, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Koburne macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors Regulars!

I'm an incoming fourth year university student majoring in Business Management focusing on Enterprise Development & Project Management. I've actually been a lurker for quite a while now, originally found out about the site when I was gonna get my mbp last year (around June?).

Anyway, I'm here because I need advice, advice from people who are actually familiar with the day-to-day (which is imho much much more important than random online reviews). My current set up includes a 13" 2010 MBP (2.4 ghz Intel C2D), a 3rd Gen iPod Touch (32 gb), an HP Desktop for the more demanding tasks (and games) and finally a Nokia E71 (nearing 2 and a half years old). I was wondering given what I have, would it be more advisable for me to pick up an iPad 2 (or iPad 1, if you guys/girls recommend it) or an iPhone 4 (is it even wise for me to pick this up since there are rumors about a possible refresh in the next few months?). And I'm just a student so I do have a budget and can only afford the base models for each 16 gb Wifi and 16 gb, respectively :(.

I guess it would be easier to give me advice if you know a little bit more about me. I am very much into reading and have started looking into ebooks since they're sometimes cheaper than printed versions. I am not a big fan of games to be honest. I mean I do enjoy the 15/30 minute run every now and then. Also, I have accumulated a backlog of games that I will most likely never get to play in its entirety. I can't say I'm very much into photography but I do appreciate taking snaps every once in a while (my phone's camera is serviceable to say the best). I am addicted to productivity and constantly read about it and explore new ways to increase my own efficiency and effectiveness. And, well, I think that's pretty much it.

Thank you so much for any advice you can give me. Take care and God bless!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You can do without the iPad if you have the iPhone 4 but if you are living with an E71 now and are considering iPhone, make that your first priority.

You can read ebooks on the iPhone 4 and wait to pick up an iPad another day. The down side is the small screen.

However...
    If reading books is your main priority, then you can live with the E71 a little longer and go for the iPad. Since you won't already have an iPhone 4, the iPad 2 is a better fit. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1 and feel no need to upgrade to iPad 2 because the camera in my iPhone 4 is actually better than the one available in iPad 2.

hope this helps...

Since you are in the US (judging from the degree program you are pursuing), I suggest At&t as you can get data for $15 a month and use the campus wifi.

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Wow, it's like a CV you wrote there, nevertheless, I currently own a MacBook Air, iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and used to own a 2010 MacBook Pro just like yours. Since I own several Apple products, thought I would give you some insight whether to purchase an iPad 2 or iPhone, as you planned. Since you like photography and productivity, an iPad would be very ideal for your usage, but since you are going to be getting a Wi-Fi only model, I would advise you to upgrade to 3G, and this way you won't need to worry about your phone having 3G connection as well. iPad plans are generally inexpensive and is most definitely worth it.

I would buy an iPad 2 3G 16GB, you would only have to pay a little more from the Wi-Fi only model and adds extra productivity features like browsing the web on the go. I would also advise you to at least wait till' June and see if Apple will announce the next generation iPhone in their annual summer conference in San Francisco (they may not release it until September according to sources).

Have you considered purchasing an Amazon Kindle? Great for reading ebooks on it! Did I also mention books on the iPad are also very great to read on!

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'd go with the iPhone. They're more all-around useful than the iPad. You'll have to pay monthly for service but an iPhone does pretty much everything an iPad does, plus it takes better pictures and even makes phone calls!

As for books, I don't especially like reading on a backlit LCD screen so I highly recommend a Kindle.

5. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I'd also recommend a Kindle for reading eBooks. Not tiring on the eyes at all.

6. Koburne thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks to everyone who spent their time replying you guys rock! Legion93 is right, might be wise to wait until June just in case Apple announces a new iphone (I honestly doubt it, but who knows right?)

Good news! I think I've finally made up my mind. I'm waking up nice and early tomorrow, to get in line and pick up an ipad 2 black version wifi only – I will have to skip class though x_x (sorry Legion93! The 3G version is just not worth it for me at the moment since I spend a lot of my time in places with solid wifi connection anyway).

So I'll stick with my old E71 for now, maybe upgrade a few months down the road (I do need a better data plan).

@Legion93, Kuebby, Solowmodel: It was actually because of the Kindle that I came to this whole fiasco about the iPad and the iPhone. I did think about picking one up especially since they're kinda cheap now (139 dollars right?) I just figured I'd prefer a more all-around device. However, if the lcd screen of the iPad proves to be too much of a strain I will definitely pick up a Kindle.

Again, thank you guys so much!!

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I'm not so sure if I would ever buy an iOS device again. I've tried the iPod Touch when it was released, the iPad when it came out and currently still use an iPhone 3G - and all three devices were rather disappointing for me.

At the moment, the LG Optimus Speed looks very much like my next phone - half the price of an iPhone 4 but double the power. Next in line would be the Nexus S or the forthcoming Galaxy SII9000.

But in any case, I would not burn money on a tablet TOY anymore. Smartphones have and fulfill a purpose, tablets don't.

8. Koburne thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry to hear that Winni :(. A good friend of mine actually had the same qualms with the iOS devices. She sold her iPhone 3GS and her iPad last year and has since moved on to an HTC smartphone. Which she absolutely loves, I'm happy for her. And although I'm not familiar with LG phones, I hope it works out for you!

On other news, my iPad 2 is here!! Thanks again everyone!

9. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I agree with that. How an individual uses a product determines is subjective value.

A bunch of people on my MSc course have iPads and use theirs constantly. It really comes down to what you do with it.