Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMC231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
Hi,

I'm new to this site and would really appreciate some help. I currently have a mid 2009 macbook pro and would like to upgrade to something current. My normal use includes word processing, lphoto, imovie, basic illustrator, occasional gaming (warcraft, civilization and such-not a priority). I would like to also explore more advanced video editing and graphic design. So my issue is which laptop to invest in. I figure 3-5 years is a reasonable life expectancy given Apple's track record. Ideally I would hook this up to an external monitor. I'm figuring on a budget between $2,000 to $2,500. I ruled out the imac because I do need the occasional portability. I've been reading so much I'm getting snowblind:D MBA, MBP rMBP...so many choices lol.

Any help in making a decision would be a big help.

undies1993

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Hi,

I'm new to this site and would really appreciate some help. I currently have a mid 2009 macbook pro and would like to upgrade to something current. My normal use includes word processing, lphoto, imovie, basic illustrator, occasional gaming (warcraft, civilization and such-not a priority). I would like to also explore more advanced video editing and graphic design. So my issue is which laptop to invest in. I figure 3-5 years is a reasonable life expectancy given Apple's track record. Ideally I would hook this up to an external monitor. I'm figuring on a budget between $2,000 to $2,500. I ruled out the imac because I do need the occasional portability. I've been reading so much I'm getting snowblind:D MBA, MBP rMBP...so many choices lol.

Any help in making a decision would be a big help.

What are the specs of your current MBP? Are they sufficient?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
My concern with your computer....

will be that some next OS upgrade let it in the cold, if that is a 2008 machine. For the uses you mention, can be a viable machine maybe for 3 more years. But again, not so sure how many biig cats coming can support down the line (Mac OS X upgrades). If supports 10.9 (when coming) maybe you have that 3 years as a safe shot

:):apple:

JMC231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
At least it will give you AirPlay, which is what you wanted, no?

A RAM upgrade and an SSD might be worth the ~$200, too.

I thought it was maxed at 8GB can I do 16? I thought I heard that mid 2009 and/ or 2010 can't use airplay or was I misinformed.

JMC231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
At least it will give you AirPlay, which is what you wanted, no?

A RAM upgrade and an SSD might be worth the ~$200, too.

I thought it was maxed at 8GB can I do 16? I thought I heard that mid 2009 and/ or 2010 can't use airplay or was I misinformed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.