Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photographer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
Thanks well explained in simple terms, i just found out these g4s arent available yet :( after all this work lol, thank you all once again im that much closer, my worries now are DVD-RW and the war!! between the two types,the ATI Radeon 9700 is not available according to apples site store, and I can not run outlook for an email client and outlook express runs slower :( I thought it was slow enough! what is a boy to do?
Regards to all
Mike

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Thanks well explained in simple terms, i just found out these g4s arent available yet after all this work lol, thank you all once again im that much closer, my worries now are DVD-RW and the war!! between the two types,the ATI Radeon 9700 is not available according to apples site store, and I can not run outlook for an email client and outlook express runs slower I thought it was slow enough! what is a boy to do?
Regards to all

Well, DVD-RW will still be readable in most DVD-ROMS, and I read somewhere here that apple switched to SONY DVD-RW/DVD+R drives so that means most likely, if one of those weird formats wins, all apple needs to do is issue a software update to make the OS write to that format, it can already read it. ATI Radeon 900 is available now, but the Geforce4 Ti is just as good, plus it has 128MB or VRAM, so when apple has another update to speed up the UI graphics, I have a feeling they'll utilize that.

And, if your working with digital photos and photoshop: the more ram the better.

As for outlook, well, you can use Entourage from Microsoft, but apple's Mail Application works fine...Unless you need to connect with specific exchange services...

One more thing: since my dad switched to a G4 using photoshop, he always tells me that the color in the images look better! I am not sure...but he swears it is better than his PC was....probably something to do with Colorsync or something...anyways, just something to look out for (he also kept his old monitor).

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by dabirdwell
I'm not a professional photographer, but I do a fair amount of work with a nice Olympus, and the new 20" Display is absolutely *UNBELIEVABLE*. Our photos have never looked so awesome. I wouldn't discount the Apple display so quickly, especially when a Dual 1.25 will do what you need for production. I can't imagine that you would ever regret getting the new Cinema Display, it is bright enough, pixel-dense, and empirically HUGE.

That is part of the problem with LCDs - they are too bright, and when you lower the brightness to accomodate for ambient lighting and desaturation during the printing process, you get banding on screen. Even on the brand new 20" LCDs - when brightness is not turned to full, dark areas go from 95% dark to 100% dark (black, green, red and blue colors), creating a solid color appearance. The CRT will give a you a more continuous tone and hue.

PC Clone

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Photographer- assuming you're not a plant, then this is the worst possible place to ask a question like this... most people here are part of the Steve Jobs cult... a new Dell or HP running Windows XP will do the job just fine...

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by Photographer
Thanks well explained in simple terms, i just found out these g4s arent available yet

The 1.25 and 1.42s are now available in stock models at resellers. I just ordered my 1.42 from a family shop owned by iJon's parents in Arkansas. They were good enough to unpack it and try it out before shipping it to me. I should be receiving it tomorrow via FedEx, sans sales tax. (for which there is a gov't exemption for all state-to-state internet transactions in the US until this november, although larger retailers are "voluntarily" charging it to pressure Congress to take away a small business advantage... ).

I had a similar post to yours on the hardware discussion - dell precision WS vs. a powermac. I had used a mac from '91 to '97, but moved to PCs at that time - Win95, to 98, to NT and 2000. I used to really enjoy my mac, but moved to the PC in '97 for pragmatic reasons. Funny, but pragmatic reasons - in part - are what has brought me back to the Mac. I'm hoping for fewer conflicts that are just impossible to figure out, more elegant software, and the like. There is also a bit of soul there. Now, I know Apple is just a company, and my commonsense, understanding of corporate structures, etc. tell me that corporations are about the bottomline, but my old mac had more... soul to it than any of the PCs I've since used. I'm hoping for the same of the new powermac. We'll see.

They've had a lot of little promotional films and stories on the Apple site featuring photographers in Africa that utilize the Mac (click on the "creative" box on the title bar on the Apple site). Of course it's Apple advertising, but those sorts of things may help give you an idea of who is using the equipment for photography and how they're using it.

Best of luck to you.

TheMightyG

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by Photographer
Thanks well explained in simple terms, i just found out these g4s arent available yet :( after all this work lol, thank you all once again im that much closer, my worries now are DVD-RW and the war!! between the two types,the ATI Radeon 9700 is not available according to apples site store, and I can not run outlook for an email client and outlook express runs slower :( I thought it was slow enough! what is a boy to do?
Regards to all
Mike
Hi Photographer:

I don't do digital photography so I'll leave that info for others. But I can give you some info on Outlook. Although MS has Outlook for the classic Mac OS (OS 9) there is no Outlook Client for OS X. However, MS has just announced that there will be a free patch coming this summer to make Entourage (the email client with Office X) compatible with MS Outlook and the defacto Mac Outlook Client. I'm sorry I don't have the link that announced this. Of course this means that you'll have to buy Office X. I think that the Office Romance promotion is still ongoing (Office X for $199.99 with the purchase of a new Mac)

On that note, I'm sure you've been told that when moving from PC to Mac you'll have to buy completely new software packages. For example, Adobe won't give you an upgrade price when going from Photoshop 7 for Windows to Photoshop 7 for OSX. You'll have to pony up for the full OS X version. Ditto for every other piece of software out there. You need to factor this into your purchasing price.

Drivers for hardware should be freely available for OS X, either built into the OS itself or online. If your scanner is not supported in OS X (some older parralel and SCSI ones are not), there is an excellent shareware app ($40.00) called VueScan that in many cases is better than the supplied scanner software. You can find it here. You can demo it for free and there is a list of all supported scanners. Its been rated consistently as a "must have" app for OS X users on Versiontracker.com

Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase decision. You'll be glad you made the switch.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.