In need of some SERIOUS iPhone help here...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kfranklinlegg, May 31, 2012.

1. kfranklinlegg macrumors newbie

So, my PC got a virus and I had to restore it to factory conditions. I thought I had backed up everything, but it didn't occur to me to back up my itunes file. Whatever that file is called.
    So, I get my PC set up again, install a fresh copy of itunes, and voila. Nada. All of my music was on my phone until this morning, all 95 or so of my contacts are still there (and I checked, 87 are still on iCloud) and only one song that I purchased on the itunes store is in there.

When I try to sync my contacts to windows 7 contacts, absolutely nothing happens. Which is good in a way, because at least I haven't lost them from my phone. BUT, I need to back them up in Windows 7 contacts.

I don't mind losing my music so much, because all I have to do it copy it from my pc back to my itunes, but really?? Someone help me out here...Do I have to restore my phone and lose my apps, etc...that I bought??

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In iTunes make sure you're logged into your iTunes account.

When you connect to the computer, your iPhone will treat your computer like any other new computer it's connected to. It will ask if you want to transfer you purchases from your device to you computer.

Otherwise you can also download these purchases yourself from iTunes (once it's purchased, you can redownload as much as you like).

If you have issues with contacts, I suggest writing those extra ones not in iCloud down on a piece of paper. Also you can force iTunes to backup the phone, by right clicking the device on the sidebar and selecting "Backup."

If don't mind the inconvenience of re-adding your music, you should be fine.

Good luck.

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

redownloading only for apps, music is not allowed to redownload.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can redownload purchase content through iTunes including music!

5. macandiPhone macrumors member

Losing apps is not a problem

I'll go with what alphoed said.

Initially connect your iPhone to your PC. iTunes will consider it like a new device.

Hence it will remove all apps which are not present in iTunes library, but you can always download these apps again. All apps purchased will always be free to download.

The only thing to be careful about is your contacts.

Next, you can sync your music from backup to iTunes library and than to iPhone whenever required.

Cheers:)

6. kfranklinlegg thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already plugged it in, but it didn't recognize anything I had on the phone...well, it sort of did, right now it says I have 8.9G of "Other", 2.4G of "Photos", 1.37G of "Apps", and .01G of "Music"....WTF is "Other" and where did my music go??

How do I get it to back up and recognize my pictures, and all that jazz? I'm totally confused.