in need of srs help plz and ty

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sam235, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Sam235 macrumors member

Sam235

i got a 3G+ HSPA Broadband service, its an internet receiver from my ISP at 21mb/s, its connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station that is placed on the 1st floor of my house, connected to the airport extreme are all the computers and gaming consoles on the first floor through LAN and Wireless 2.4ghz N, and an External 2TB storage HDD, now the problem is theres no internet coverage on the second floor, only in the room above the room that the AP extreme is in, what do i do? i want to wirelessly extend the network to cover the whole second floor without an ethernet wire, should i place another airport extreme upstairs? does act as a wireless bride? like take in wireless and transmit wireless?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yes, another Extreme will act as a wireless bridge. Or you may consider an Express to do the same thing. Depending on your needs, the Express may be a more affordable option. Either will work.

3. Sam235 thread starter macrumors member

Sam235

I think i will go with the extreme since the houses here are concrete, so ur saying it can take the 2.4ghz wireless and transmit it to the second floor? also do i have to make a new network or it will only act as an extender with the same name, because i have an external connected to the one downstairs and i want the computers upstairs to be able to access it aswell, thanks alot for ur patience and time

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Using the Extreme as a bridge will just extend your current network. You can choose to make a roaming network and give the new one upstairs the same name (SSID) and password as the original one, or you can give it a unique SSID. Either way, all devices connected to either network will be able to communicate with one another.

This PDF from Apple will walk you through setting up your second Extreme as a bridge:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf