In need of warranty help! new here

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apples2applez, Oct 28, 2014.

1. apples2applez macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Bought I phone 6 after a 3 year wait with my previous Android.
    Purchase date Oct 2 with a possession date of Oct 6.
    This past weekend the phone took a slight fall and not only did it bend the phone but it also cracked the screen up pretty bad even though is was protected by a very firm case and a screen protector.

Still within the 30 day period through at&t to purchase warranty but i am not sure if I will have to bring in the phone to show them that it is still in good condition before they will allow the warranty?

Second research action is Apple care plus+ which apparently you have up to 60 days from purchase to acquire. But once again I have no Idea how it works. Seems that you could buy it online but how do you go about receiving a replacement down the road?

Also to add to the apple care plus question I have found sealed packages through eBay that say they will work for the iPhone 6 and are half the price, would this work?

Very worried that I am going to have to pay the out of pocket price for the phone if I go to Apple which I currently cannot afford.

If anyone could please shed some light on this situation with some ANY sort of advice it would be immensely appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

2. 617aircav Suspended

Apple will run a diagnostic test on the phone and it will probably tell them the screen is cracked ( based on a members here trying to do the same thing), att will likely have you bring the phone in for inspection. Best thing is to try and see what happens. Try square trade as well. By the way if you had a glass screen protector you phones screen would still be ok.

3. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I bought AppleCare plus but they checked the phone over before I bought. Not sure about buying off eBay. Perhaps a call to Apple might be best. I know a friend who took his iPhone 5s into Apple that he'd cracked the screen and they just replaced it! You might get lucky. Good luck.

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Not sure where or how it's bent, or if you mean just some dings of dents, but screen is only $110 at the Apple Store.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you purchased it with a credit card, you should have accident protection for the first 90 days.

Other than that, purchasing insurance or AppleCare+ after the incident already occurred would be insurance fraud. Apple will either run a diagnostic on your phone or require you to take it in for inspection. Either way you would be denied because of the drop and others around here have said that Apple's diagnostic can detect whether a drop has occurred or not. And with AT&T you would still have to pay (I believe) $200 deductible to get a replacement phone.

So your options are:
    If you purchased via a credit card, see what protection you have,
    Go to Apple and see if they will only replace the screen for $109 or
    Pay the $299 for a replacement phone.

6. apples2applez thread starter macrumors newbie

bent in the same spot most of the 6+ are bent, right under the lock button.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Buying AppleCare after you broke the phone to get a replacement would be fraud. You can't buy car insurance after you have an accident, this is no different.

8. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Lol. The diagnostics test does not tell them anything about the physical condition of the phone other than it is on and able to click a link.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Dropping the phone should not have bent the phone. Dent, scrapes and shattered screens are common but it would not bend the phone.

How about posting a picture!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you do not buy the extended (and accidental care) warranty from apple you need to bring it in. I think the same goes for ATT but I could be wrong.

I will say its morally wrong to do this and is considered insurance fraud, since you're looking for ATT to pay for the repair/replacement of a phone that you broke.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Really. I recall a member here claiming that his cracked iPhone failed the diagnostic.

12. 617aircav Suspended

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414576952.633076.jpg

13. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

It reports on how the hardware that runs the phone is working, not on accidental damage. There is no possible way for them to know via a diagnostics test that the phone is cracked or damaged. Unless the phone doesn't turn on or you can't click the link that they send you.

14. apples2applez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of the input, everyone!

Will probably just take a hit and do the right thing and just replace the phone out of pocket, even though its going to take a while as I am in school and barely have enough money to pay my bills :(:( unfortunately I signed with a 2 year contract so Its going to be like 600 to replace.

Anyway in response to newtons apple I will try to find a way to take a pic and put it up soon!

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This has already been discussed/answered: it won't be $600. It'll be $110 - $300.

Don't commit fraud.

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

As mentioned several times already, an out of warranty replacement won't run you $600. More like half that: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Your contract status makes no difference on that front, the out of pocket cost to replace your broken phone is going to be the same regardless.