In normal case, how long can the battery be used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by feyn-man, Nov 24, 2007.

1. feyn-man macrumors regular

I know that depends on how many app I used. I just want to know how long without any app open.

When fully charged, my 3 days new macbook, 5 hours at the beginning of turn on. And with one safari window, 4 hours. And with one safafi window and one transmission app, 3 hours.

Is that normal?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It depends a lot more on what you are doing than how many apps you have open. If you have music playing in iTunes while making a movie in iMovie and ripping a dvd in Handbrake, your battery will die a lot faster than if you are surfing in Safari and writing a paper in neooffice.

3. feyn-man thread starter macrumors regular

I have do nothing. Just turn on the machine.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In that case, it is just because your macbook is still new, the battery is still adjusting. You should calibrate it.

Directions here

After that and a few more days, you should be able to get a good 3 - 4 hours from it while not using processor/optical drive intensive activities such as video encoding.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Your exact mileage will vary based on how CPU-intensive your apps are, how bright your screen is, whether you are using USB devices, whether you are using the optical drive, etc.

Now, you mentioned that your macbook is 3 days old. Brand new I assume. If you haven't turned Bluetooth off, this can really drain your battery, even if it's not in active use. If you are not using the internet, then turning Airport off will also boost your battery life.

And to answer your question, yes, your battery appears to be giving you normal performance. Be sure to calibrate though. If you want more help on this, visit the guide on it. :)

6. feyn-man thread starter macrumors regular

In fact, I have just complete the calibration, yesterday. When I first turn on the machine, today and after fully charged, I found the CPU is 70 C high temperature and the battery can only persist 1.5 hours. That's strange, isn't it?

7. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That is indeed very strange. You're sure you followed the calibration exactly? Hmmm...has your battery become larger since you first bought the macbook? Is it sitting flush with the case?

9. feyn-man thread starter macrumors regular

At first, it is less than 3 hours with 70% charged.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well that is too subjective for me to give you an answer online without more specifics.

More importantly, is your battery physically ok? It isn't popping or growing larger is it?

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Is Spotlight indexing? Is Airport turned on? Are you up/downloading torrents in the background? Is Bluetooth turned on? What are the energy saver settings? Are you turning the machine off or just sleeping? Are you closing the lid before it is fully off (and perhaps interrupting the shutdown sequence?