In NYC next week.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redmamoth, Mar 30, 2011.

1. redmamoth macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm traveling from the uk to nyc for 5 days next week and I'm gonna try and get an ipad2, at&t, 16 or 32. While I realize my chances are slim, on the off I do get lucky, where do I stand with regards to warranty when I get back to the uk? If I open it and find dead pixels galore with a back light bleeding more than a Gulf oil rig, can I exchange in the uk? Will it matter if I buy from apple, bestbuy, target, radioshack?

Thanks in advance!
    J

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Maybe you should call apple care and ask them. Make sure u get the official answer.

3. zinka macrumors regular

Apple warranties are global. Doesn't matter where you buy.

Use the Target and Best Buy stock checkers several times a day to find out where there's stock, and don't be afraid to go to Brooklyn or the Bronx if the stock is there (it often is) -- it's a quick half hour or less by subway. (And the Jersey City Target is near the PATH stop at Pavonia/Newport.) You can also try the apple stores and hope to get lucky. Someone posted that they had some in Soho the other day. You never know.

You can also try Tekserve, Mike's, and other authorized resellers.

4. oRBIT2002 macrumors member

I was in NYC previous week and my best hint for you is to *AVOID* all those tiny shops that are everyway that has name similar to "*electronics*". They WILL rip you off and is a waste of time.
    I didn't get an iPad2 last week, but atleast you could save yourself some valuable time by skipping those kind of stores.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Dont' you know NYC is full of bedbugs? Finding an iPad is the least of your problems.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't know about next week but this week people still line up early in the morning to get the very few iPads the store receives. I doubt that's going to change much when you get here.

You could easily spend your entire time trying to find an iPad. Is that how you want to spend your time in NYC? I'd go see a show, eat out, go to a club rather than visit Apple stores.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I think I caught a whiff of jersey today from manhattan :p

8. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Nah that smell is from the Bowery. :D

9. joesegh macrumors 6502

Soho had a huge line today at 9:30. Frown.

Manhattan smells way worse than Jersey, unfortunately.

10. redmamoth thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, not gonna let it rule my trip, already got a show booked too, Billy Elliot. Think I'll just keep an eye on the trackers from the hotel while the gf gets ready, that's at least 2hrs to kill... there's a best buy just round the corner from where I'm staying so I might get lucky! I'm gonna pick up a macbook pro anyway, they're so much cheaper than in UK.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll report back with any ipad, bed bugs, or odour related findings when I get back!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

11. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Just be careful, I hear that in NYC the bedbugs are so tough, that the cochroaches have to carry switchblades.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'll take the cockroaches and bedbugs over Chris Christie any day. :p

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You got me there! :rolleyes:

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

2nd!!!

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

please don't mention Christie anymore... I give up!! Can we say worst governor ever?

17. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

"Man, I'm going to cut you up so bad, that you... you gonna wish I didn't cut you up so bad!"

[​IMG]

18. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

oh and to the OP.. if you do snag one, why not just open and inspect it at the store so if there's anything wrong with it.. you could just swap if they have another or return it on the spot?

19. Barbariska macrumors member

Barbariska

I live in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan and can't find an IPAD2 anywhere :(:(. Monday one of the checkers showed that BB on Atlantic Ave had some available I went there after work, but of course, those "available" were for people who preorder. None of Target in 50 mile radius has any availability. Radio Shack sold out their inventory in minutes after opening on 3/29. I ordered my online on apple.com with delivery date 4/29, I have no hope to find an IPAD2 in store before that.

20. zinka macrumors regular

Sure you do. Best Buy at 23rd and 6th had them last week. Keep checking. You'll find one.

21. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

I got my 64GB AT&T from Target in Brooklyn. I also saw a 32GB AT&T at Target in Harlem.

Try the links in the post below and punch in your zip code. The best time to check is the very early morning AM. Stock is entered over night. Then get to the store before they open so you're first in line. Also check stock again in the afternoon. Anything that was not entered overnight is usually updated early afternoon.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12159791&postcount=187

22. redmamoth thread starter macrumors member

Ok so i'm back, and no joy i'm afraid, checked a couple of target/best buys and staples but nothing... the best buy inventory was showing stock at one store so i hopped on the tube but they were all reserved for customers.

Anyway, on another note, i was playing with an iPad 2 and an iPad 1 in Heathrow prior to boarding and I noticed on the iPad 2 that flicking through pictures was REALLY jerky... yet the iPad 1 was smooth as butter! anyone else noticed this?