In order to purchase a 3g iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpd659, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mpd659 macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with ATT. They advised you can only buy the 3G iPhone for $199 and $299 if you add a line, start a new account or IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY ELIGIBLE TO UPGRADE YOUR PHONE (Meaning if your contract is up and eligible). My contract is not up until next year. ATT said that I will not be able to get the 3G iPhone unless I add a line to my account. I will not be able to even upgrade it at a higher retail price than the $199/$299. All the other phones ATT sells you can buy when you are not eligible for an upgrade price, but just pay a higher price. But, again they will not allow this with the new 3G iPhone. Anyone have any ideas?

2. esvienne macrumors member

I just got off the phone with ATT and the rep stated that it won't be a problem to upgrade. If you aren't eligible for an upgrade you pay the full 199/299 price and a 2 year contract. If you bought an iphone after may something, you are eligible for a discount on the 3g phone. ATT might be evil but I doubt they would prohibit people from buying new phones because their contracts aren't up yet. They make money having people sign new 2 year contracts.

3. meagain macrumors 68030

I wish AT&T would announce things and get it over with already.

I don't understand the concept of not being "allowed" to buy something. Period.
    I want to upgrade the iPhone each time it comes out. I've no clue what "penalties" there are for that.

4. esvienne macrumors member

I agree, I think it's silly that they would possibly try to restrict people from buying the new 3g phone... I don't think they're going to. It's money and it's business, they would be hurting themselves by restricting it. I just don't see it happening.

5. rolex54 macrumors 6502

at&t has no idea what is going on, if you call 2 times you will get 2 different answers from the reps. I would just not even bother worrying about it until we have a clear cut answer, but at&t really needs to get their **** together...

6. xanatos macrumors regular

when i bought my iphone and then cancelled my service and gave it to my brother to use, it took for 4 days for ATT to figure out how to do that. Sounds like they still dont have their act together whats so ever...

7. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

You got this wrong or you simply didn't call and your lying. Why? Because Apple wants to SELL PHONES. They already sold 6 million of them and most of those 6 million will want to upgrade. That will put them over 10 million for the year easy.

Apple telling people they can't buy the iPhone. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA get real. They are in the business of selling things.:rolleyes:

8. phinnaeus macrumors member

First apple started just licensing the itunes software for that POS moto ROKR.

Then they just went ahead and made their own hardware phone.

Taking all bets on when Apple just goes ahead and becomes a cell phone service reseller. (IE they buy their the minutes from another company and then set their own rules/whatever)

9. seenett macrumors regular

FWIW, the leaked AT&T memo from Boy Genius Report is genuine.

I was posting on the forums at AT&T wireless and quoted a line from the memo. The post was edited by a moderator (AT&T employee) because "your post contained a quote to proprietary information or information which is not public."
    :D

10. mpd659 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did call and I'm not lying. I'm just saying what they told me. Have you called? I sure hope I'm wrong. Because I'm planing on buying one the first day they come out one way or another. I just want to do it the easy way. I do agree with another post above that if you call and get two different att reps, you will get two different answers. The main reason why I posted this is to see what people think and to see if anyone else gets different information from ATT. It does seem like when they announced the price that att would have everyone on the same page, but it still doesn't seem like they know whats going on yet.

11. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i agree with you 100%, even tho i called att and apple and they both told me its a set price, its like the launch of the first iphone. you just buy the phone it doesent matter.. i want to believe that but im not going to untill everything is announced and ppl know whats going on

12. EglMtn macrumors member

After reading through this discussion I called ATT as well, and I was also told that the 199/299 were the prices, and that it didn't matter if you were eligible for an upgrade or not. The rep said that everyone would be buying the phone for 199/299.

13. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

yea i think thats the truth, i think its going to be just like another iphone launch..just buy the phone, put ur sim in it.

14. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

There is absolutely NO way a company is going to deny certain people the chance to buy their product. That is the quickest way to financial disaster and it would be such for Apple.

Not to mention the negative media response...

C'mon people, use your heads. I know you are all too smart to actual believe something like this... At least I hope you are.

15. hiimamac macrumors 6502a

hiimamac

• FWIW, I was talking to someone at apple today and they said when the first iPhone came out that they said (AT&T) that they were going to activate them in the stores - it never came to fruition. Maybe it will be more of the same?

Know-one seems to know for sure.

16. twist2b macrumors regular

I find it weired that AT&T is pushing this, and yet there are apple stores people can buy the phone from. Though, can Apple stores make you get a plan? How does that work?

Anyways, I believe I saw a post that said you COULD upgrade your old phone and it is free after may (but you get bumped from 20 extra to 30 extra a month for the extra G's.

We will all have to wait though, but really... I dont think AT&T has jurisdiction on how APPLE (THE PEOPLE THAT MADE THE PHONE) sell the iPhone.

Best luck to us ALL, we really need a nice clean way to get upgraded!

17. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

First of all, dont call the OP a liar when you dont have your facts straight.

Apple still makes their money regardless. Its not them losing money on a subsidized iPhones, it's AT&T. It makes perfect sense for AT&T to hold out the new iPhone to ineligible customers when they are not eligible to upgrade. Why arent they eligible ? Because the customer took another phone at a subsidized price that AT&T is trying to recoup during the 2 year contract. Remember, AT&T is the one thats eating ~$200 per phone so you do the math !

18. LoganT macrumors 68020

Then make them pay the full price, and also don't extend their contract. That's what every other phone does.