In over my head.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bordway, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bordway macrumors member

So I brought my harddrive up with Mac Lion and installed it on my computer. But I did this hastily and installed an old beta version.

When my computer rebooted it had the circle with the
    line through it. So I made a boot disc of Lion and booted it from that. That allowed me to select which drive to boot from, so I chose the CD and repaired the disk and disk permissions and both were successful.

Can anyone tell me how I proceed?

I am wondering if I toasted my harddrive?

I only have a 160gig hd to restore it to and I have a few gigs over that on the iMAc, is there a way to delete some stuff from disk utility without erasing the whole thing so I can restore to my mac?

I didn't back up like a moron so I'm trying not to lose all my music, pics, etc. Please let me know if you can help or need further information to do so. Thanks in advance.

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

How did you even get a beta of Lion?

Can you boot from any disk that would let you get into the Mac App Store and redownload the Lion installer?

3. bordway thread starter macrumors member

I was running Snow Leopard. My friend gave me that beta from his Dev acct and I wasn't thinking.

I got Lion online from the app store and made a boot disk on a DVD (learned how to online) because it was the only thing I thought to do.

The beta worked on my Mac Book Pro, saw that it worked so without thinking it was wrong (because it seemed to be working on my newer MBP) I started the installation on my iMac. But my iMac freaked out apparently.

4. goMac macrumors 603

Download the final version from the Mac App store and install it. Pretty sure you could do that over the beta.

Very foolish to install the beta. Just buy it from the app store.

5. bordway thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I bought the final version, the hard drive it was on had the beta as well. I mistakenly installed the beta. The MBP let the final version install over the beta just fine.

My older iMac (still intel though) crashed (I guess) when I mistakenly installed the beta. So I have made a boot disc of the legit Lion I DL'd from the app store and need to know how to proceed from my original post.

I know I effed up, but I'm not asking to reaffirm that, I was hoping for advice to correct my mistake with the legit copy.

6. bordway thread starter macrumors member

I can start the computer on the Windows side (have bootcamp windows). But when I try to go from Windows to Mac I get the same circle and diagonal line through it again...

When I try to install Lion over this mess it says Lion requires two gigs of space to install. I have almost 60 free on the mac partition...

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I would backup the OS X partition (think Target Disk Mode) and then blow the partition out and try to install.

8. bordway, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

bordway thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean by blow it out? Just do a clean install on the OS X partition?

And my MBP doesn't have a firewire input... awesome.

9. bordway thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I don't think this computer is capable of running Lion. It needs 2 gigs of RAM and I apparently don't have that. Now to figure out how to get Snow Leopard back on...