In Pages - does this work for you?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by comedine, May 26, 2009.

1. comedine macrumors member

Open a new blank document and follow these instructions from Pages Help:

To create an alignment guide:
    - Click View in the toolbar, and then choose Show Rulers.
    - Place the pointer over a ruler, click, and drag onto the page. An alignment guide appears.
    - Drag the guide where you want it on the page.

Does this work for you?! I just get a cloud and, when I click-off, the cloud disappears. I cannot work out how the hell to get an alignment guide.

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It works for me. On my screen I get a blue line that I can move around. A puff of smoke will happen if I drag the line off the page.

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Those instructions work ok for me in Page Layout mode, but not in Word Processing mode (I get the "clouds").

Reading the Help instructions a little more closely...
    "NOTE: Alignment guides can’t be created if you have an insertion point in text, such as the body text or header. Select a floating object or Command-click the document page."

So if you want alignment guides in word processing mode, Command-click outside the text area (for example, on the document page, under the grey area at the left hand end of the ruler) and the cursor will disappear. Now you can click and drag the alignment guide.

4. comedine thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - that has sorted that out. But I think my help page must be different to yours. There's no 'note' on mine.

Attached Files: