In Parallels: How many CPU's should one use?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by FHayek, Oct 30, 2012.

1. FHayek macrumors member

Dear All,

I use Parallels 8 to run Windows 7 (32 bit) and MS Office 2010. The integration and performance has been solid. Every once in a while, when I open an email, the screen spazzes and get pixelated. Closing the email solves the issue, perhaps there is a way to configure the VM to mitigate the issue altogether.

My 2012 MBA has 8gigs of RAM and a 256SSD. I've configured the VM to use 2.5 gigs of RAM and one CPU. I understand I can dedicate or allocate more than one CPU to the VM. What does this actually mean and is one the proper amount to use?

Any thoughts would be most helpful.

thanks-

FH

2. paolol61 macrumors newbie

paolol61

Hi,
    depend on what program you use on the VM, if you just use it for email -word or other non intensive process 2 is a good setting, you have to remember that we see 8 CPU but this is not true the real cpu are 4 so if you give the VM only 1 CPU it only use half of the real cpu and this can give you silly result I usually set my VM on 4 CPU and on 7CPU for the game machine :)
    In any case if the VM don't need CPU power it will be free for the MAC side, so no big deal on having more CPU assigned to the VM.
    ;)

3. FHayek thread starter macrumors member

Thanks paolol61. I will use 2 CPU's to see what changes I notice if any.

FH