In past years, the free iPhone upgrade.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Legionnaire, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

when do they let you upgrade free in store? Same time preorders go on sale for 6s? Reason I ask is im hoping I won't have to deal with the crowd to get my free 5s.

2. DynamicSausage macrumors 6502

DynamicSausage

I'm going to answer the question I think you're asking...

Usually the Apple stores set a queue outside for those hoping to get the new phone or whatever else people may be queuing for on that given day. Then the rest of the store is open to use as normal, albeit very busy from those who just want to get a look or have a chat about it.

For a 5S, you shouldn't have any trouble just walking in, speaking to the first person you see and getting it straight away.

3. Legionnaire thread starter macrumors 6502

Say iPhone 6s preorders go on sale sep11, will att be selling 5s at the discount price at sept11? Or do I have to wait til att sales the 6s in stores before they mark 5s down.
    Sorry, I appreciate the response, definitely nice to know they will get me in and out fast.

Using att to upgrade in store, or online if they put 5s for .99 2 year online.

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I'm pretty sure the previous models drop in price on the day of the announcement as soon as the Apple online store goes back up.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Whenever the newest model goes on sale, not pre-order, but on sale, the other models will drop.

6. btrav13 macrumors 6502

The previous models will drop in price the same day the 6s launches. However, Verizon and T-Mobile no longer do "free upgrades", so that all depends on your carrier. If you're on one of these two, you'll have a device payment, but it will be pretty cheap being that it's a 2 year old phone.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Again, Verizon no longer does "free upgrades" for NEW CUSTOMERS. Nothing has changed for current customers. New options are available, yes, but current customers may continue with their current plan as is.

8. btrav13 macrumors 6502

You're half correct. You keep your plan. You pay for the phone full retail over 24 months. However, there are plan discounts for doing this, depending on the plan.

9. willmtaylor, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I don't see how I'm half incorrect. You stated that all customers will have a device payment and won't have the opportunity to pay money down ($200, $100, $0) for a device. This is incorrect. Your statement seemed misleading or incorrect, and I was trying to clarify.

FYI, there have always been plan discounts for fulfilling one's 24 month contract. My wife currently gets $15 off her line per month bc she fulfilled her 24-month obligation.

10. recoil80 macrumors 68000

As far as I remember the price is updated after the event so you can get the 5s or 6 with the discount next Thursday in Apple Store.

11. btrav13 macrumors 6502

You can pay money down to lower your device payments but there isn't a "free phone" or discounted phone with a contract anymore.

12. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sure about that?
    grab.jpg

13. btrav13 macrumors 6502

VZN changed this about three weeks ago. I'm sure. I work there.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I picked up on that, but I took that screen grab about 3 minutes ago. Are you saying that I couldn't pay $0 for that phone if I were so inclined?

Also, why are all of your devices through Ma Bell if you work for Big Red?