In Preparation of Steam for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by b0tt094, May 5, 2010.

1. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

I was looking on the forums for this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So Before I buy l4d2 for the mac I was wondering can any gaming gurus tell me if my 13' macbook pro can handle it?

Specs:
    2 gb ram
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    I have 36 gb of space free so thats not an issue

Also I have been running tf2 on bootcamp for a while (using vista) and that runs fine on (I believe) medium res and everything.

If u neeed any other specs just tell me... Thanks :D

2. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I think you'd be fine. Maybe on low settings mind.:rolleyes:

3. b0tt094 thread starter macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Thank you, Low is fine with me. I have it for the 360 but I hate the community on the 360. Its all racists and 5 year olds (which I find odd and scary at the same time). Also the expansion for the 360 only costs 10 dollars less than the entire game for steam so why not

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

5. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I'll be getting it for my iMac with a 9400m too. :) What kind of fps do you get on TF2?

6. b0tt094 thread starter macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Honestly I'm not sure. I run it on a campus network so that doesn't help connection all that much at times. (And I've never actually checked) But it runs beautifully from a simpleton's point of view.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I run L4D2 on my 9400M macbook . I have overclocked the card a bit and I'm using the latest drivers, I get L4D2 running at a minimum of 30fps at medium-high settings. Hell I even get 30fps on my x1600 on medium settings (again, latest drivers+overclocked).

TF2 will fly.

I know because I play them for at least an hour a night, every night (except TOnight :D).

8. b0tt094 thread starter macrumors 6502

b0tt094

Awesome thanks for the info. Also where can I download the latest driver If I don't have them

9. Rogue. macrumors regular

Be aware that some maps on TF2 are pretty graphics intensive. Especially at the start of "Badlands" for example. Everyone grouped together knocking the c**p out of each other.

You even need a pretty high spec gaming rig to avoid the low fps on a Windoze machine in certain areas of the game.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm using PC drivers on Windows, theres nothing you can really do for OSX. Unless there is and I don't know about it!
    Also is there a good GPU overclock utility for OSX? Now that an onslaught of games are coming out it'd be a good time to get some modded drivers+overclock utilities out there.

11. davwin macrumors regular

Under BootCamp I currently get an average of 25fps at 1280x800, all settings on Medium, No AA and 2X AF. This was done via 3 passes of a custom timedemo I made and is on the MacBook in my sig:
    2.0 C2D, 4GB RAM, 9400M

I hope that under OpenGL and in OSX natively we (I) would get similiar performance. I sure hope it doesn't take a hit at least :)

12. rbarris macrumors 6502

Mail me your timedemo!

13. Tesseract macrumors regular

Tesseract

You know, with Steam coming to Mac, it could be a bigger deal than just having more games available. If successful enough, it could mean OSX finally getting better and faster OpenGL and more frequent driver updates. There would have to be a call for that though. So start sending Apple some e-mails people! We want better graphics performance in OSX!!! If its REALLY successful enough, it could mean getting more powerful GPUs, and sooner (although that's more of a long shot).

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'm sure Blizzard is down Apple's throat right now, given the abhorrent performance of SC2 in OS X.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Are you using Apple's drivers or downloaded the latest ones from nVidia?

16. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

first one played fine on mine via crossover. I believe the second one is on the same engine, so it should be fine. Source doesn't require a high spec computer