Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaputsport

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Carlisle, PA
I am looking at all apps that I may not have had the ability to use, or exploit the purpose of.

I am leaving a 2G and going to a 4 and I am looking for apps.

Not just the stupid "take a love life quiz" or "free Messaging" apps, real apps.

My home screen has the following on it, just to give you an idea of what I am looking for...

-The Weather Channel
-Directv
-Bento
-ReaddleDocs
-Trapster

I use all the dragon apps, Simcity, Tetris, Dropbox, and even music creation with "Megasynth" and "Voiceband".

Are there any apps I am missing??? Anything worth the money I mean. I prefer a good pay app to a crappy free one. I am thinking about getting mobile office editing like "Documents on the go", but have not bit the bullet yet.

Make your suggestions below, and please, if you make a recommendation, post a description of the app, and if you can, a price, or at least the actual name of the app to search for.

thanks.

:apple:

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
[app]Pocket Informant[/app] - great timebar monthview, and events and tasks displayed in the same view.

[app]Awesome Note[/app] - gorgeous UI, folders, passcode lock, and sync to both Evernote and Google Docs.

[app]Outliner[/app] - by Carbonfin. Great for outlines and lists. Syncs to a free online outliner site.

[app]Instapaper[/app] - save online articles for later reference, as well as sending online articles that would require too much zooming and panning to read on the actual site.

[app]Instaviz[/app] - in my opinion the best mindmapper/flowchart out there. A definite learning curve to draw the nodes though. The upside is that it reformats your mindmap/flowchart to look great. The screenshots do it no justice, as the app is capable of much more complex and better looking charts. It helps me get my head around complex problems.

A few games I could recommend if you're interested.

kaputsport

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Carlisle, PA
[app]Pocket Informant[/app] - great timebar monthview, and events and tasks displayed in the same view.

[app]Awesome Note[/app] - gorgeous UI, folders, passcode lock, and sync to both Evernote and Google Docs.

[app]Outliner[/app] - by Carbonfin. Great for outlines and lists. Syncs to a free online outliner site.

[app]Instapaper[/app] - save online articles for later reference, as well as sending online articles that would require too much zooming and panning to read on the actual site.

[app]Instaviz[/app] - in my opinion the best mindmapper/flowchart out there. A definite learning curve to draw the nodes though. The upside is that it reformats your mindmap/flowchart to look great. The screenshots do it no justice, as the app is capable of much more complex and better looking charts. It helps me get my head around complex problems.

A few games I could recommend if you're interested.

Sure thing... List anything worth the time. Just looking to get the best of the iPhone experience I was missing with only having a slow 2G.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
[app]Real Racing[/app] - the best racing simulator. Great graphics as well.

[app]Jet Car Stunt[/app] - incredible stunt car game. Very challenging.

[app]Galcon[/app] - online strategy game. Things can happen fast!

[app]UniWar[/app] - turn based strategy war game. Not everyone's cup of tea though.

[app]Angry Birds[/app] - Catapult birds to destroy green piggies hiding behind various structures. Doesn't sound interesting, but it's been in the top few apps for good reason.

[app]Plants vs Zombies[/app] - a classic. Cute graphics, great gameplay.

[app]N.Y. Zombies[/app] - can't walk, but it's got a dark atmosphere to it, and it's frantic.

[app]Sudoku 2 Pro[/app] - if you enjoy sudoku, a beautifully done app with great controls.

kaputsport

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Carlisle, PA
To the top. Anyone else use the pro apps and not the crap apps???

List them and their purpose... I would love to have a "Must Have" apps list of usable applicationsand games, rather then scoure the app store for hours hoping you find what you are looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.