In Progress: New Mac User

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ChocolateJesus, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

Hello Mac Rumors!

I am a current Windows/Ubuntu user, finally ready to give Apple and moreover OS X a full-hearted chance. This is my plan:

1) Sell current laptop.
    This is already in the works.

I'm just tired of it bugging out on me, and I really think it is limited my creativity and enjoyment of using a computer.

2) Use my current Lime iMac G3 DV until next iMac/Macbook revision.
    I'm really into the idea of a gHz system bus on a Mac, which is why I'm waiting. Yes I realize the g3 is VERY slow.

3) Buy a new Mac in November or so, when the newer ones come (hopefully).
    This is tentative to me actually enjoying my experience on OS X, with consideration of course given to the limitations of the g3.

The g3 should serve me well during the beginning of school, as it can run MS Word very nicely, and light browsing works.

Anyway, I'm happy to be a new member of this forum and look forward to discussing my journey with you nice folk. Till then!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Welcome.

Enjoy.

Go Leafs Go. And if you're from Ottawa, the Sens suck.

3. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

haha sorry brother, both suck pretty bad.. but the leafs are definitely worse off.

4. weazbert macrumors newbie

but both of them own Calgary :)

5. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If you don't immediately need it, wait till Nov. That's what I would do. But if you do decide to buy now, it won't be a bad choice, free iPod! You wont' be disappointed either way.

6. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

The plan is definitely to wait, but with that g3, who knows what will go through my mind. haha

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Welcome, and coming from the G3 you will be amazed when you finally buy your new machine.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. idyll macrumors 6502

Hmmm.. What new Macs are coming out in November? Is it the laptops or desktops? When are the iMacs due for an upgrade? Been thinking about getting one.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I bet you'll love your new Mac, whatever it is... Surely the speed difference will be substantial.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Check out the Buyer's Guide

It should give you an idea

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

Well until my auction ends, I'll have been using a Pentium 4 laptop with a gig of RAM.. so dropping down to a g3 iMac will be pretty rough. The main thing I'll miss during those months is flash content I think.

All that just makes my potential jump to an Intel Mac that much more enticing. :p

11. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

Computer is sold, now just waiting for my wireless dongle I bought off eBay.. it apparently works with OS X after some driver installation. Cross your fingers!

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Don't let their age fool you, iMac G3's are still great computers for the lighter stuff. It will be quite a speed drop for you, but manageable. :)

13. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

I've got it all set up now, working wonderfully. I think I will do a reformat though because I made an 8 gb partition for the OS (on the 40gb HD), thinking it was necessary from a few forums. Looking forward to having a little more sanity in my directory trees!

The D-Link DWL-G122 wireless adapter works really nicely, aside from having a stupid window in my tray the whole time..

More to come!

14. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

Okay, did a fresh install of 10.4 and it's running as clean as possible. I'm a minimalist when it comes to running processes, which works to my advantage when using a machine like this. It's definitely slow, but still very useable. Flash content is a lost cause, so I use Camino with flash blocker enabled.

I found and used some programs such as Onyx and MacPilot to customize and optimize the system.. every cycle counts down here at 400mHz!

Attached Files:

15. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I remember I wanted a Snow iMac so bad when I was in middle school.. all my friends thought I was stupid. Nice looking machine!!

16. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the snow iMacs are REALLY sweet actually. Those things went up to a beastly 700mHz! :p I'd surely like one as well.

Does anyone know how to remove permanent marker from the plastic on this iMac? I've tried:
    • Dry erase marker
    • Nail polish remover
    • Rubbing alcohol
    • Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
    • Swearing and/or yelling at it

Also, can anyone suggest some simple games that will run nicely on the computer? I've got Duke Nukem 3D installed, but it drops frames (hah!).

17. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Have you tried Spitting on it, lol no I'm kidding. I would just try warm water an soap.

I think the iMac G3's are still perfectly functional, I know many people who use them daily and have no problems

18. ChocolateJesus thread starter macrumors member

Alright folks.. confession time.

I bought myself a 12" Powerbook 1.33gHz off eBay the other day. Got a good deal on it, however it needs a new battery. And holy CRAP does it blow my little g3 out of the water.

Anyone know where I can get a battery for this computer? Apple's seem too steep money-wise, plus the reviews are god-awful.