In reality will there be much difference in camera performance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by super chimp, Sep 13, 2014.

1. super chimp macrumors 6502a

Between the iPhone 6 & plus. Other than OIS it's the same camera in the two so I am wondering if in actual use there will be a notable difference in the results of the camera from the two new iPhones? Even in low light unless your taking a picture of something that isn't going to move I am not sure if there will be a noticeable difference.

2. munkydust macrumors member

OIS isn't to deal with photographing moving objects, it is to deal with the phone operators movement. And, we really won't know how much of an impact it will have until the comparison reviews come out...

3. kolax macrumors G3

Apple was implying they are the same cameras but the Plus has OIS, which will see most benefit in low light situations.

4. Grmnracing macrumors regular

I think you will notice a difference. It may be a slight difference in still shots. I'm no professional at any photography so take this with a grain of salt. I believe the 6+ will stand out in the video portion. I think the image stabilization in the 6+ will greatly help while recording video.

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

OIS is definitely a nice feature to have. But think about how your 5 or 5S takes photos. Are you satisfied? It's even better in the 6, without OIS.

I'm happy with my iP5 camera, so really looking forward to the slow-mo, digital stabilisation, focus pixels and what not!

6. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

In situations where you are inside, or it's dark, yes. Outside in daylight - zero difference.

7. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

In reality will there be much difference in camera performance?

Would it help in this situation? A while back I was visiting a national trust place on a relatively overcast day & trying to take a picture of a statue situated under over-hanging trees. With the 5S the resulting picture was just a black silhouette of the statue. Also will the 6 produce the same result?

8. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

the OIS won't help with that, what you need to do in that situation is turn HDR mode on, it will combine two-three pictures so you get exposure in both the sky and the statue. Or you can use exposure compensation to overcompensate to get the statue exposed with a blown out sky.

9. super chimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did try HDR but the HDR one was only a bit better than the normal one. Is it just a situation that a phone camera is always going to struggle with.

10. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

That's a limit of that camera. Well, any camera really.

See your eye can see detail in really dark "zones" at the same time as it can see detail in really bright "zones". The camera can only see a smaller portion range than our eyes.
    When you're shooting into the sun, the sky/sun is going to be MUCH brighter than anything that has its back to the sun, that's what causes silhouettes.