In repairs for one error, comes back with new error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkanok, May 17, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

A week or so ago, I did an Apple Hardware Test (insert bundled install disk #1, and hold "D" key upon boot) and received an error code, with something about the VideoController. So I brought it to my local Apple Store to get looked at. They took it to replace the logic board, and within 5 days, I got it back.

Later, when I got home, I turned on the computer and figured for curiosities sake, I'll do the hardware test again.

Once the test completed, gladly, the VideoController problem didn't appear. In its place however, a new error code: 4SNS/1/40000000: Th2H

Now I'm kinda ticked. I didn't have time to go back to the Apple Store about this -- as I had to go to work -- and I'm not sure what to do. So far, I don't see anything that is being affected by the error, but to know it's there is killing me.

Has anybody ever seen this error code, and if so, know what it means?

EDIT: And just to add a bit more, the technician who gave my computer back to me insured me that he ran one of their extensive tests, and it passed everything...

2. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I can't friggen believe this!

Read my post above for the first part of the story before reading this.

So I just turned my computer on, it's plugged in to the AC power, sitting idle, nothing is running but the OS, battery is NOT charging, all temps are nice and low, except for some reason, the damn fans are constantly running at 6000 rpm!!

What gives? I don't want the fans to be way up at full strength all the time!

3. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Just take it back to the Apple Store. They will do more tests....heck, you might even get a new computer out of it! Just be calm and patient, they usually do the best of favors! :D

4. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I highly doubt I'd get a new computer out of it, seeing as how my model isn't being made anymore, but I'd be happy if that did happen lol.

However, the thought of having to give them my computer again bothers me, because I'll be without it for yet another few days to a week, which sucks because I need it for things like school and whatnot. But now that I think about it, I pretty much welcome them giving me a brand new computer so that I don't have to wait for a while... Sigh

5. alattanz macrumors newbie

Did you ever get your issue resolved?

I have had a similar problem that has seem to be intermittent for the last 6 months. Basically my fans spin-up to 6000rpm with less than 5% CPU usage. Numerous conversations with apple care and apple genius reps with no resolution. Apple rep said it was software and recommended that I reinstall the OS. I was reluctant believing this could be the reason but recently I did a reinstall as a last resort because I also started to get periodic system shut downs, rarely but still did and that points to a thermal protection mechanism, but all the apple diagnostic tests kept coming back clean; after the reinstall the problem persisted to be present. However, I have notice this behaviour could be triggering consistently if the computer was brought out of sleep mode after it had been asleep for approx some time greater than 20min. In addition, to that I use istat menu to monitor sensor vitals and noticed my CPU A temp reading was -128 which is clearly bogus.

In addition, I have tried resetting SMC, pram, did the fresh reinstall but nothing solve the problem. Once again I called an apple rep via phone and they said I definitely have a problem and take it in but once again I have been reluctant as I need the computer and can't bear to be without it. But I kinda had a break-through today, after booting my system I noticed istat menu would not display CPU A temp and the fans were spinning at 6000rpm. I think when istat menu was started it could not find the CPU A temp sensor so it would not display it as a sensor to monitor. At this point I decided to restart the system and run apple's diagnostic tools and that is when I received the following, and first I must add, alert msg:

4 SNS/1/40000000: Th2H-128.000

I believe this alert is basically saying the same thing that istat menu has been telling my the sensor is reading -128 C.

However, in consecutive hardware test runs I could not reproduce it and after the second tests my fans went back to normal idle speed. After restarting my computer I noticed istat menu was displaying CPU A temperature readings normal < 50 deg C again and now I have not had the fans spin-up in the last 20 min.....this issue is a pain in the back side.

I hope apple has found a resolution this issue.
    Adrian

6. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Do an SMC reset first. There is a certain mode that the computer goes in if you take out the battery and unplug the computer, then hold the power button down as you put the battery in. It forces the fans to run 100% and gives no temperature reading. Not sure if this would mess with the diagnostics or not, but it would at least save you a trip to the Apple Store.

To do an SMC reset, take out the battery and power cord, hold the power button down for 5+ seconds, let go of the power button, and put the battery back in. It should reset the SMC and should be like a normal computer again.

Hopefully this works, and if not, at least you tried.