in safari on the iPhone has... always been there.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michael31986, Jun 19, 2009.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

has history, bookmarks bar and bookmarks menu always been there, because i just restored my phone as a new iphone and im wondering if that was never there before! thanks!

IDK why someone closed my last thread, since i said that taking off sync didn't work. That was kind of rude. can someone please help me. im checking off sync, but its still there.

2. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Your PHONE is messed up. Take it to an APPLE store.

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

know it's not messed up. No need to be nasty. I just wanna get ride of it

4. efice32 macrumors 6502

Yes, it has always been there. You can't get rid of it because it's part of the software. "Checking off sync" just keeps it from putting your computer's bookmarks on your phone. It doesn't eliminate the bookmarks menu on the phone.

5. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

I thought you wre saying it wasn't there. You can't disable that. It's always been there.

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok no one is understanding me I think. When you click the bookmarks utton on safari. Mine says. History. Then bookmark Bar Then bookmark menu. Then my bookmarked sites. My friends doesn't have that. His just has history and then his own bookmark sites. It is probably there because I synced but now idk how it goes off

7. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

It looks like you have 3.0 on your phone, do your friend have 3.0? I just checked my iphone which is saying what yours says, my daughters ipod touch which I did not upgrade is saying what your friends says.

8. arykmax macrumors regular

Mine didn't do that until I started syncing my bookmarks with Safari. I tried to delete those options in Safari and then re-sync but no dice.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I know what you're talking about. They won't be there on a brand-new iPhone, but if you sync your bookmarks for the 1st time, they'll appear and you can't get rid of them afterward.

10. TranceNW macrumors regular

Edited - sorry, my suggestion wouldnt have worked.
    Im stumped!

11. arykmax macrumors regular

Tried that but it won't let me delete the bar or menu. It's a minor annoyance.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Is it like this?

photo-7.jpg

I have always had these folders, even in 2.x

13. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I was searching Google this morning for the same thing. I want to keep the Bookmarks Bar folder, because it has my most visited sites from Safari, but the Bookmarks Menu folder is empty and I don't know what it is.

What is this Menu folder for?

14. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok in other words I can get rid of it. Cause of 3.0 or just cause I synced first time.

15. Titan12 macrumors regular

uhh if its the basic bookmarks/history menu that you access from the bottom of Safari, there is no getting rid of that. The phone even comes with a few bookmarks preinstalled there (google, apple, etc...)

(may have to restore to get rid of those 2 folders)

16. Stephenw macrumors newbie

The "bookmarks bar" is part of IE 8. The folder is created in favorites when upgrading to IE 8. It appears as a toolbar in IE 8 where you can place your most used bookmarks. It got on your iPhone when you did a synch.

17. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I didn't sync with IE; I synced with Safari. Both of these folders are from Safari but I don't use the Bookmarks Menu folder. From what I have found online, I would probably use that folder if I was using a Mac but I have a PC.

18. Stephenw macrumors newbie

The bookmarks bar folder is on a PC. It's part of Internet Explorer 8. When you synch with iTunes, it synchs your Internet Explorer favorites onto your phone. That is how the folder got there. When you open Safari on your phone, amazing, there are your favorites from IE.

19. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

The Bookmarks Bar and Bookmarks Menu folders are from syncing with Safari. There's 2 ways to get rid of them. First way is you have to restore your iPhone and set it up as a new phone, and don't sync with Safari. Second way is to remove the folders from Safari (google how to do it), then sync with Safari, and disable Safari syncing. Then you can add the folders back again.

20. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I appreciate your help but that's not what happened. The "Bookmarks Bar" folder is not exclusive to IE. Safari has one too. I don't sync bookmarks through iTunes; I sync over the air with MobileMe. The Bookmarks Bar folder is not my issue; I want to keep that. It's the Bookmarks Menu folder that is of no use to me.

21. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

It's the same thing with syncing with MobileMe, you would either have to turn off bookmark syncing on the phone, or remove the Bookmarks Menu folder from Safari on your desktop. I'm not really sure how to do that though.

22. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

If u have PC i found a workaround that i found on an old thread posted here at mac rumors

1. Select "Sync bookmarks from Internet Explorer" in iTunes
    2. Select "Replace all information on this phone: bookmarks"
    3. hit Apply

You will get all your IE bookmarks on the iPhone (note: all existing iPhone bookmarks will be deleted), and all of the folders will be deletable. You can choose which ones to keep or delete.

4. uncheck "sync bookmarks with IE" in iTunes before you sync again.

this works and i did it and the files are gone. IF you have a mac. i think you do the following:

1) Export your bookmarks to the desktop
    2) Quit Safari
    3) Delete ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
    4) Open Safari, import the bookmarks you exported earlier
    5) Move bookmarks into their old folders (e.g., Bookmarks Bar into the system created Bookmarks Bar folder)
    6) Delete the "Imported bookmarks" folder when you have moved them all back to their place
    7) Sync iPhone with "Replace information on the iPhone: [x] Bookmarks" enabled