Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPeaceSea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Hello. My 17 inch MacBookPro's (power PC) monitor and graphics card stopped working. I cannot see anything on the screen or on another monitor. I need to transfer important info from Power PC applications that will not open in the new MacBooks. Is there anyone in the NYC area with a portable working Power PC Mac who can help me?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hello. My 17 inch MacBookPro's (power PC) monitor and graphics card stopped working. I cannot see anything on the screen or on another monitor. I need to transfer important info from Power PC applications that will not open in the new MacBooks. Is there anyone in the NYC area with a portable working Power PC Mac who can help me?

This is a more appropriate thread for the Marketplace because you are offering to purchase one. I would check your local Craigslist.

PowerPeaceSea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Actually, I am not looking to purchase one, but to perhaps rent one for a couple of hours so I can transfer the data. Is this not the right forum for this request?

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Sounds like you have a PowerBook G4 17"... if I interpreted your post correctly.

If you have an Intel Mac that can run Snow Leopard, you should be able to connect the PowerBook hard drive through an external hard drive enclosure to an available USB socket. From there, you can run PowerPC / rosetta applications.

Perhaps you can check craigslist to see if anyone is selling their PowerBook G4 and ask if they are willing to rent their unit out. You can also try Yelp or other places to search for retailers that offer Mac Rentals.

PowerPeaceSea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Thanks. I will try asking on Craiglist as well. I'm really hoping someone will be able to help me.

PowerPeaceSea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
No, unfortunately the screen is black and nothing appears on a second monitor. Thanks.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No, unfortunately the screen is black and nothing appears on a second monitor. Thanks.

Well... if it powers on but the GPU has indeed failed then put it into Target Disk Mode and connect it to any Mac you have. Create a disk image of the hard drive and when you get a new machine, simply restore the disk image to the new one's hard drive through Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.