In-store Activation for 3G iPhone = long in-store delays?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewjnyc, Jun 10, 2008.

1. andrewjnyc macrumors member

I bought my original iPhone on launch day at an Apple store in Bethesda, MD, in a transaction so quick that I was back on the street with my phone in hand less than three and a half minutes after stepping into the store. One of the reasons it was so quick, of course, is that the original iPhone was user-activated at home via iTunes. The 3G iPhone is going to require in-store activation, however, and I'm wondering if that's going to cause the lines at Apple stores everywhere to move at a glacial rate on July 11. I live in New York City and would normally circumvent this potential problem by going to the 24-hour Apple store on 5th Ave at 2am or something like that...but that's not an option since I'm gonna be in Los Angeles for business from July 8-17.

I just checked, and I see that all three LA-area Apple stores are (per Google maps) theoretically within an 11-minute drive of the hotel where I'll be staying in Beverly Hills, so I reckon I'll be buying my 3G iPhone at one of them. What I'm wondering is, will there be enough consumer interest in the 3G iPhone to result in really long lines and, possibly, incredibly long waits thanks to the insistence on in-store activation? Or do you guys think that there won't be a lot of "casuals" waiting for the new iPhone and that the number of "diehards" might not be large enough to cause huge delays because of the new activation policy? In any event, I'm assuming all three LA Apple stores will stay open past their regular 9pm closing time on July 11, though I suspect the Grove store might turn out to be the best one to hit since it's the only one located in a freestanding building with its own entrance rather than in a mall.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is not looking like it's going to be fun times. Guess I'll bring a Cinnabon.

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

I am thinking about just going to an att store, they barely had any lines on launch day last year because everyone went to the apple store...

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

July 11 will probably be very busy. However, I have recently been in a Apple store to have my iPhone replaced due to a screen problem. They activated my new iPhone is minutes. Just connected it to a laptop and it was very fast. He said they have streamlined things quite a bit since the initial launch.

5. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

Thats good to know! Hearing your situation makes me feel somewhat better about July 11th! Did you have to reselect your phone plan or did they just activate your phone? It might take longer if the person that is getting their phone activated needs to sign up for new a plan instead of just getting the phone activated. I hate the people that go to buy a phone and they spend a half an hour choosing which plan that they want....

6. parham55 macrumors member

any estimates on if there will be problems buying an iPhone out of town and trying to port your number? I am from Missouri but will be in New York on July 11. I would think this wouldn't cause a problem, but it would be a pain to have a problem given the return policy.

7. andrewjnyc thread starter macrumors member

As I said, I live in NYC and bought my original iPhone in Maryland when I was down there for a wedding, and I didn't have any problems at all (though I was already an AT&T customer). I see no reason why you couldn't buy an iPhone at an Apple store here, set up a new account with AT&T at the time of purchase and then port your number afterwards. If you have problems with the phone--unlikely--you'd probably have to ship it to Apple for repair unless you have AT&T stores in your hometown that could take care of you.

It's worth noting that you'd be paying a much higher sales tax on the phone in NYC than you would in Missouri, 8.375% versus 4.225%. If you're going to be here for awhile or really want to buy your phone at the Apple store for sentimental reasons, it's probably worth it, but it's still worth keeping in mind...

8. parham55 macrumors member

thanks andrew, did not think about sales tax. I think i will wait to get back to the cheap state of MO. I will be visiting 5th ave just for the adventure.