In store activation, if it isn't your account.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshisradd, Jun 11, 2008.

1. joshisradd macrumors newbie

I am currently still on my parents account. I pay my bill, just easier that way. Im curious about how activating in the store will work if my parents are not there. I live about an hour from the nearest AT&T store that sells iphones, and lets face it, I would like to wait in line and get it when it comes out. What do you guys think? Will they let me get an iPhone and reactivate the account without my parents there with me?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You can have them set you up as a Authorized User - Retail Store.

To do this, go to wireless.att.com and click the account button. If you don't have the web access account you'll have to set that up. After you're logged in go to the Profile Information page. At the bottom is the Authorized User - Retail Store section. Add your name. This should allow you to modify the contract by showing photo ID at the store.

3. joshisradd thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, I didn't even think of that. Should be easy since I run there online AT&T account for them.
    Thanks.

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

it also might help to know their social security #

5. joshisradd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have all that info. Its not like I will be sneaking this behind there backs, Im just sure they will not want to go with me.

6. saDeRmac macrumors regular

No it won't thats only for cust service transactions. You have to be an authorized user with a Driver License/ID not expired. Reps can't even see the ssn.

7. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I think the activation process is going to be so lame. What if you wanted to buy an iPhone for someone as a gift. The old way of doing it was so perfect, now I think it will be much more confusing. I would even prefer just a mail in rebate from AT&T for the $200 if that meant we didn't need to activate in store.

8. joshisradd thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, I'm curious to see how they pull it off. I have a feeling things may change or be different than we assume.

9. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Yeah I know... I'm a rep... that means more work for us instore... lol... but look on the bright side: [1] No DOA problems when you get home, [2] the iTunes activation wasn't so seamless sometimes and what if you had a question about it you would have to sit on the phone with Apple Care guiding you through it when [3] you can walk out the store with it working and [4] have your questions answered by a human being face to face. I'm tech savvy and know all there is to know about the iPhone, but that doesn't say that i don't know about all the apps. I value someone else's opinion. So, I think it is crappy cause I have to activate it for you in store (which can take up to 30 mins for a port), but I think that it will help with less returns the next day b/c the user was not shown on their own iPhone.