In-store avtivation? Or just purchase and leave.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Jun 16, 2009.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Whether I purchase the iPhone 3G from Apple, AT&T, Best Buy or Walmart will there be in-store activation?

And if they aren't doing in-store activations does the primary account holder have to be present?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Yes, you have to activate it in the store.

3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Then you'll activate it at home if it's shipping to you. If you've reserved it at an Apple store, you'll activate it at the store. Apple might let you take it home to activate it, it depends on how busy they are.

5. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I've read multiple articles saying they're doing the take-home thing this time... but a guy I talked to at AT&T said they were doing it in-store. So... I don't have a clue. :confused:

6. D3lta macrumors 6502a

I don't see why they wouldn't just let you do it at home... if they're shipping it to people to activate at home, then people who buy in-store should be able to take it home too.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The reason they have a problem with it is the mess that happened with the first iPhone.
    There was an article that talked about the discrepancy between the number of edge iPhones sold and the number of AT&T activations. Eventually, both companies came to realize that a number of people were illegally unlocking the phones. So, they wanted to put a halt to it.
    Hence, the reason I and many others were forced to activate at the store.

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Last year I waited in line to get the 3G (Apple Store). When I got into the store he had me wait at a Mac Computer. He then brought the phone out and he entered my current phone number in a handheld device and I think pointed to the box and had me pay on my credit card. He was then going to hook it up to the Mac and I think explain things to me. I said can I just take it home and hook to my own iTunes and he said sure. I left within a few minutes of entering the store after waiting in line 6 hours (still kicking myself for doing that). This time having them mailed to me.

9. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

I just preordered at Best Buy Mobile and the guy said he would activate it for me.