in-store customization?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by migsev, Apr 5, 2008.

1. migsev macrumors regular

i'm on holiday in the US and i'm looking to get a macbook pro here. i wanted to get the base model, but with an improved hard drive. can you just drop by an apple store and get one? i can't order online because the credit card isn't from a US address.

2. asmallchild macrumors regular

It depends on the store. My store is only willing to upgrade the RAM.

Not even willing to upgrade the HDD on the 2.5ghz model. You could always try doing it yourself if your need for a 7200rpm drive is pressing.

3. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Simple answer is no.
    Just the RAM.

Where are you planning on going?

4. f1 macrumors 6502

The only upgrades the Apple Retail Stores do is RAM, except for mac pros where they will do hard drive, video cards (more expensive in store), and airport cards.

5. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

so the only way to get a mbp with a different hard drive is to order from the online store? you cant even place a special order in the apple store itself?

6. mstens macrumors member

They'll send you to the online store or give you the phone number to order over the phone.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

It depends on the store of which models they will have in stock. The store near me always tends to have various configurations in stock with different sized hard drives, ram, etc. Though I have heard that some stores only carry the base models.

8. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

I tried to buy a MacBook with upgraded RAM (from 1 to 2 GB) at the Memphis store. They were going to sell me the the base model plus an extra 2GB of RAM. They claimed they couldn't simply charge me the price for a customized 2GB model. Needless to say, I took my business to the online store.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Some Apple resellers will if they have authorized repair service. They will charge though. Other then that your looking at only RAM.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Sounds reasonable and logical to me... I dont think the demand for on-the-spot customization of machines is that high..

In order to buy from US Store, just go buy a prepaid credit card and load it with the necessary cash and you are set to go....

11. FanOfMac macrumors newbie

Buy MacBook and Retail Drive - DIY

I recommend buying the MacBook and purchasing a separate retail drive. Switch out the drive yourself and place the original drive that came with your MacBook into a 2.5" external enclosure. Doing this will save you money.

Also, buy the ram retail for big savings. I purchased RAM through Newegg.com and saved boatloads. I've kept my original Apple ram for just in case I take my MacBook in for service, so I don't get warranty issue thrown at me. Actually, the only thing that should come up with warranty is retail RAM is not covered under Apple's warranty - basic or Applecare. Apple RAM is covered.

12. asmallchild macrumors regular

How about processors?

Let's say I wanted the basic MBA but I wanted the 1.8mhz processor instead.

Do some stores carry that configuration?

Or would any MBA with the 4200rpm HDD come with the 1.6 mhz processor instead?

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Macbook Air is different. They are probably going to have the base 1.6 with the 80gb and the 1.8 with the 64gb. But it just depends on the store.

14. asmallchild macrumors regular

ahhh i see

i was hoping for a 1.8 and the 80gb hdd

15. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

16. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    From what I have observed in two Apple stores, they only provide the 1.6 GHz/ 80 GB configuration or the 1.8 GHz/ SSD /64 GB configuration. If you want to try different options you would have to order through the online store.

17. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

I had the exact same question and saw this post. I am purchasing a 15" Macbook Pro tomorrow and wanted the 250gb HD. My current comp is an iMac with a 250gb HD so I don't know about fitting into the 200gb drive in the Macbook Pro. But I don't want to customize it and then not be able to return it if I have the yellow screen issue or the sound issue, ect...

18. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

would you know any store that carries various configurations in the san francisco or los angeles area?

i'm looking for a 2.4ghz MBP with a different hard drive.

19. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

the 320gb drives do sound quite nice, but its $150 i don't really have.:(

20. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

the apple store i went to in Millenia Mall Florida

had the Macbook Air in 1.6/80 and 1.8/80 and 1.8/64

(source: my uncle bought a 1.8/8gb)

just call the store and see

21. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

Even ram upgrades at the store aren't worth it...you end up paying for the extra ram and the ram in the machine...order online if you can :confused:

22. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I think different stores stock different combinations. Dont know why but i know a 1.8ghz 80gb hdd would make for a sweet MBA for sure..

23. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

you can always try an authorized reseller like best buy. call ahead and find out before showing up to save a drive if you'd like too

24. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

i already popped by best buy. all they had were the stock configurations. :(

i really want a 2.4 with 250gb!

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

by chance a friend was wondering the same thing last weekend when we were in one of the Apple stores in Los Angeles. She asked and was told that they only carry the base configurations. She then asked if other Apple stores in the area might have other configurations in stock and was told that they wouldn't. The salesman said she could go to one of the authorized resellers and that she would be able to find one that would install an upgrade hard drive into one of their stock configurations for her.